In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trip to the Beech.... and some winter camping!!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by stuckinthemuck, Jan 5, 2014.

  1. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Got out to the property a few days after Christmas for some firewood gathering at the property in north central MA. Hadn't been there in 2.5 years. :( Invited five good friends from school and four actually showed up. I had a particular tree in mind that I thought might have a low enough moisture content to burn this year, so that's where I headed first.

    The beech consisted of a clump of 3 stems, the leftward most one (in tree in the center) was the standing dead that needed to come down.
    IMG_0919.jpg
    So I got the face cut done. Had to do a plunge cut for the back cut and then whacked a wedge in the kerf and got ready to move as it fell.
    IMG_0920.JPG
    But nothing happened. So I assessed the situation and found that the stems had grown together.. Should have noticed that BEFORE i started cutting.:emb:
    IMG_0921.jpg
    So the trusty 021 went to work on the other side of the tree and I ended up here.
    IMG_0922.jpg
    Two seconds after this picture, I grabbed the saw out of the tree as it began to fall in the desired direction. Proceeded to cut it up and load if for the trip home which didn't happen until the following day. Did I mention that we spent the night? :campfire: :fire::MM::drunk:Gotta say, I need to talk to the manager about the overnight accommodations. It was chilly in the morning and with the Busch beer and Jameson the night before, NO ONE wanted to get up to start the fire in the morning. Overall a good trip to the woods as I managed to get some wood, cook some sirloin tips on the fire and spend the day/evening with good friends. Glad that we didn't plan the trip for this week!!! upload_2014-1-5_10-11-47.png
    IMG_0927.JPG
     
  2. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Feels good to be home after being gone for years:)
     
  3. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    It is a shame to see the beech bark disease destroy the beech trees in the northeast. The once smooth bask is now all pocked up. They get punky in spots, are horrible to split and have zero value at the mill. It is one of the predominant tees on my land in VT and it sucks.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Sorry to hear that PB. It was something that certainly was a topic of discussion when I was studying forestry. This one was not too difficult to split with the X15 and the moisture content came in at 21% after being dead for several years. It did have some rot in it as you mentioned. My lot is predominantly red oak and white pine. We did a harvest in 2009 to promote the best quality stems. I want more diversity so I don't suffer big losses should one of those species get affected by insect or disease. It's sad when a beautiful veneer log has to get turned (no pun intended) into firewood due to insects, disease or weather stress.
     
    raybonz and Scotty Overkill like this.
  5. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Concur..:thumbs:
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  6. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Stuck, that looks like a GREAT time!! Glad to see you made it home, and had some priorities to get out in the woods! As for that tree, they can be tricky but all in all, I'd say you did a good job bringing it down.....

    Had you gone camping this weekend, you'd have been better off camping on Mt. Everest......o_O
     
  7. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    Yes, Sir. The timing worked out great for this one. We got out of the woods on Sunday just prior to the big rain event. This worked out much better than my winter flounder fishing plans in early December that were cancelled due to snow and highs in the mid teens!! BRRRRR.

    I think it's about time that I get one of these though. Would make the nights much more bearable.
    images.jpeg
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    For sure a tent like that is a good one to have.
     
  9. raybonz

    raybonz Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Likes Received:
    9,758
    Location:
    Carver, Mass.
    Welcome back to the good old USA Muckman!
     
  10. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Nice pics

    Still may want to take a small tent.
    You may get kicked out if you snore.
     
  11. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    All true... Of course, if I get the tent with the wood stove, I'll have to get campinspector up near the top of the flue to do the sniff test to make sure that I'm burning seasoned wood.:rofl: :lol: Thanks all..:thumbs:
     
    Paul bunion and raybonz like this.
  12. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    If you want a floor under it keep your eye out for somebody rebuilding their deck. Old pressure treated wood makes for great tent platforms. The underside will be in perfect shape.