In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Will my chimney brackets work?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Kimberly, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

I gave some more thought to what the guys here said so I added a few more braces. I swung off of it twice and it supported my weight; no I am not telling my weight :p:D

bracket_updated.jpg

2. Kimberly

Kimberly

By the way, my friend told me I was building by erector set.

Eric VW and HDRock like this.
  3. Locust Post

Locust Post

I think that should be fine....I'm guessing you will probably put a couple braces off the roof up higher also ?

Eric VW likes this.
  4. Kimberly

Kimberly

There will be a wall bracket just under the soffit, then I will use a roof brace for the sections above.

5. HDRock

HDRock

That should do it :thumbs:

Eric VW likes this.
  6. Locust Post

Locust Post

Lets getter up and burnin then....and a Merry Christmas to all.

concretegrazer, Eric VW and milleo like this.
  7. Kimberly

Kimberly

That would be nice and happy holidays to all as well.

milleo likes this.
  8. HDRock

HDRock

Eric VW, wildwest and milleo like this.
  9. Kimberly

Kimberly

Well that is a kick in the arse, I paid the $39.99 plus $10.11 for shipping.

HDRock likes this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Looks better for sure.
    I don't have an engineering degree from any formal school, but, I do a ton of metal fabrication at my job, and over the years ole murphy has taught me pretty well I believe. So I'll preface this by saying that I tend to overbuild. Oh, that and it can be hard to tell from a picture exactly how strong something is. Maybe that angle is thicker/stronger than the stuff that I have seen at the big box hardware stores.
    Things that tend to cause catastrophe when they fail, have safety factors built in. Like chains/cables/slings that are rated for overhead lifting, they have to pass tests showing that their actual breaking point is 5 times their rated capacity. And ladders, very similar.
    Anyways, things that hold chimneys up, should be good for at least 3 times their intended load (IMO) This is just me personally, but I have two areas of concern.
    1. I think it still needs a side brace. Either at an angle from the side(s) of the platform, to the wall. Or the simplest would maybe be to put a single "X" brace (just one leg of the X) behind the plate there where the base of the chimney (the tee) will be sitting. That will help keep the whole thing from folding up from a side load, like high winds for one.
    2. Look at the base plate area where the chimney tee sits...and then think of pushing straight down, really hard, like say 1000# would. (remember, I overbuild) You have the outer end of the base supported pretty well, but what about in the middle, right there behind the chimney base plate. Does anybody else think that it would be possible for the angle to kink right there in the middle? Maybe once the horizontal pipe is attached and through the wall, and the vertical part of chimney is tied to the house on up higher, it will kinda all tie together and be more than enough?
    I dunno, just "thinking out loud here"
    Feel free to ignore me if I'm getting carried away here...
    Yeah, Menards has really good prices on all the Supervent stuff. I wish there had been a Menards around here when I put up a Supervent back in 2008. I paid more from Lowes in 2008 than what Menards sale prices are on it today.

Eric VW and HDRock like this.
  11. Locust Post

Locust Post

I was the first one to cry foul I believe but I think with the brace off the wall and up on the roof, she'll be fine. For the wind to twist it as you are thinking it would have to bend or snap the upper braces. We are also talking round slick pipe so not much wind drag there.

Eric VW likes this.
  12. Locust Post

Locust Post

I reread your post Brenn....I see where you are saying but I think that would have more to do with downward load......I was worried more with side to side twist or bend. I think she is fine, but I'm not an engineer by no means either. Also I'm not there, just looking at pictures

Eric VW and brenndatomu like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah after looking at it more...I think the base plate being bolted at each corner will keep it from twisting side to side. And yeah, once it is all up, and tied down, it is probably fine for the vertical load that it will see...

Eric VW likes this.
  14. Kimberly

Kimberly

I am having some issues, maybe you can help.

15. Kimberly

Kimberly

I did push on it. When the support plate is bolted down it seems to eliminate any side forces. The chimney just sits on that plate; the adapter plate goes into the tee and then the tee just sits down do to a lip on the adapter plate. I thought it would be more positive than that. I guess the weight of the chimney is suppose to keep it in place.

I have already spent around $38.00 plus some of the material I already had on hand from when I put up the pull up door in the shed.

16. Kimberly

Kimberly

Not sure where you are talking about here. Could you sketch it out? Do you mean on the horizontal section from the wall? I think I have enough left to put a brace there but the plate probably handles that OK.

17. Kimberly

Kimberly

I purchased the slotted angle at Tractor Supply, I think it is 18 gauge.

18. Kimberly

Kimberly

I did take statics and dynamics at university and we use to have to do analysis on truss systems. You take each load and you resolve it into the x and y forces; based on the angle of the members. I remember in trusses that some members may not be under any load at all. For example, as it stands now, the horizontal piece from leg to leg should not have any forces unless a side load is applied.

brenndatomu likes this.
  19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Here ya go...be nice :D
    upload_2015-12-20_21-34-47.png

milleo, Woodwidow, Stinny and 3 others like this.
  20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Try hanging from the intersection point that brenndatomu points out in that "stellar" (it really is quite good, considering you mentioned you're not an engineer!).
    Since you won't tell us your weight, after you tug on that long horizontal span, as long as you don't see any flex in the slotted angle bracket erector set rig(which looks pretty darn fine, I might add) you'll be fine... My opinion of course...
    :thumbs:
    BTW, University girl- what are you going to do with all the free time you will have after you finish the chimley, hearth, install the stove, light a fire, move farwood, get & stay warm, and so on.... You'll be soooo bored!:rofl: :lol::thumbs::D

Keep up the good work, Kimberly :yes:

papadave likes this.