I have a magnetic thermometer on my flue, but I understand that it is better to measure the temp with a probe. One thing I have never understood is how that affects the ability to clean the pipe. Humor the ignorant here - does the probe have to be removed to clean the flue? Any other problems caused by the probe? Is it truly superior enough to justify the trouble rather than using the magnetic type? Greg
They are easy enough to remove before cleaning. I use a digital probe and the reading is almost instantaneous, the magnetic ones lag quite a bit. The surface temp of the pipe (single wall) is generally about half the actual gas temp. Not sure why, but the dial type probes say they are for double wall only.
Yup, probe is generally for double wall, unless you have a digital model like DaveGunter. The magnetic ones are slower to act, as noted above, but the ones with "burn indicator" calibrations are designed for single wall use and do the job.
I have a proble in the dbl wall. I use that as an accurate guide moreso than the stovetop. Easy in/out held in place my a small donut magnet installed about 18"-20" up the pipe. Definitely a good option to have.
Yeah, that is what I have. I'll stick with it for now, as it does the job for me, but who knows - maybe when I install the 30 I will go with a digital. Greg
The magnetic ones for single wall pipe are more then good enough for our needs as long as you have an accurate one which can be a problem with some brands. Double wall obviously needs a probe.