In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood fired oven - Pork pie, baked beans and sweet potatoes

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by fishingpol, Dec 19, 2015.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    40 degrees here today, the stove is rolling along nicely and I wanted to make a Tourtiere out in the mud oven.

    The wind was blustery from the northwest. I used a bit of pine to keep the fire active. I soaked and cooked some beans inside for a little bit to soften them up. I filled the 2 quart Ransbottom crock and put up a few bricks to block the direct heat.

    20151219_120744.jpg

    I made the pork pie while the oven was firing. I raked out the coals and put the pie in along with some sweet potatoes with butter, salt and brown sugar.

    Halfway check and rotation.
    20151219_134504.jpg


    45 minutes later and everything is done.

    20151219_135808.jpg


    The beans are sweet and and the pie was savory. A great combination.

    20151219_140021.jpg
     
  2. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Looks delicious, like everything else you make! :drool:
     
  3. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    Do you keep posting these just cuz you love to see the pics of my drooly dogs?:D
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,525
    Likes Received:
    95,599
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Been waiting for a post from the WFO Looks great. My Tourtiere recipe suggests turkey or chicken instead of pork. I tried it with turkey and it was good.
     
    Well Seasoned and campinspecter like this.
  5. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Was the turkey ground up or just cut into smaller pieces? That sounds like a good option.


    This mornings leftovers for breakfast with some eggs over easy.

    20151220_062648.jpg
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    fishingpol likes this.
  7. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,525
    Likes Received:
    95,599
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I got ground turkey and made it with that. I would think that you could use leftover turkey from Christmas dinner as well. It would shorten the cooking time.
     
    campinspecter and fishingpol like this.