In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Garage doors do be insulated matey GARRR!

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Pallet Pete, Dec 26, 2013.

  1. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Around here almost everybody has steel panel doors and I can't afford the fancy ones. They are really expensive compared to my redneck insulation job.
     
  2. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,621
    Location:
    IN
    Finishing insulating my shop was the best thing I ever did. The previous owner insulated and sheeted the walls with OSB, installed an insulated garage door, but left the ceiling open to the roof decking. I put some OSB on the lower cord of the trusses and blew in some cellulose.

    The previous owner also installed a wood stove but never lit a fire in it...ever. When I inspected the chimney there wasn't any trace of a fire ever being lit. I had a brand new 20 year old cast iron stove. Some people...:confused:
     
  3. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    My next project is to put foam up in the ceiling between the rafters. It's gonna take a looooooong time but I'm gonna get there eventually. It's a block garage and needs to be tuck pointed BAD! That should help tremendously too.