In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

pellets vs corn

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Old Fart from Eganville, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Skier76

Skier76

Great info in this thread. Thanks everyone.

BAN83 and ivanhoe like this.
  2. Chickenman

Chickenman

As I said before; don't buy a great heap at he start, just get a bag to try. Dont get the good stuff, get the run of the mill standard stuff. Don't, clean dry or anything, just try as is and see if it will work. Your unit looks pretty smick it might be capable of handling the moisture and trash anyway.

ivanhoe and BAN83 like this.
  3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

First batch of 55lb bags I pick-up from a chap on kijiji for about $5.50 ea and the next batch was from TSC at a sale price of $6.99 plus tax. I only bought small amount to try. I enquire from a farmer north of Cobden and was about$200 ton. It would need a cleaning before putting into the stove. Another chap near Barrie also sells some. Elora is another place. I just did a search on kijiji and found some sellers. If you have a way of picking up a ton and clean it when transferring into smaller rodent proof containers would be the way to go.

BAN83 likes this.
  4. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

I am talking with a farmer near Cobden as well and he quoted me $ 200.00 and I can haul a couple tons as well. I will start with a I/2 ton tote to try it. There is a guy with all kinds of barrels you were looking for and a decent price just south of Pembroke, if you come this way very often. They quoted me $ 30.00 for a 40 gal. and $20.00 for a 35 gal with screw off lids. I bought some barrels from them for collecting sap in the spring. Lots of different sizes. I can get more info and some pics for you if you want.
    Old Fart

BAN83, johninwi and ivanhoe like this.
  5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Would appreciate some info on those barrels. They are on the smaller side to a 55 gallon ones but will be easier to manoeuvre about. I should be passing by in a week or so.

6. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

Couldn't get any pics as my camera dyed . The place is called Vans pet food on Hwy. 41. If you are coming this way on 17 turn right on the B line and go to Rankin. Make a right on 41 and they are a couple Kl towards Eganville. You cant miss them.
    There phone # is 613 735-2726 give them a call for prices and see what they have.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Thank you. Will check it out!

8. shivaman

shivaman

Thought I would put in my 2 cents worth on this since it's sort of local. Corn is available bulk from Momac grains in Fallowfield. A week ago it was $190/ metric tonne (cash only) I picked up 1.5 tonnes and bagged it in empty wood pellet bags, each one weighed in at about 40 lbs. Moisture content was about 14%. For storage, I use Rubber Maid 100 liter garbage cans. CT: $20/each. That way I can stack them when empty. I find that the Enviro Omega is happier with a 50/50 mix of pellets and corn. Cubex was what I purchased and it cost $523/ 1.5 ton delivered to my door, so corn is way cheaper this year.

BAN83, imacman, ivanhoe and 1 other person like this.
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Welcome shivaman, Nice to see another Omega owner here.

BAN83 and imacman like this.
  10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Welcome to FHC shivaman, we hope you brought along your share of beer:drunk:Beer is a option:cheers: that is kindly over-rated here:whistle:

BAN83 and imacman like this.
  11. imacman

imacman

Welcome shivaman!!

BAN83 and ivanhoe like this.
  12. shivaman

shivaman

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Yup, got beer. Not real happy with my Omega right now, though. I will post over in the stove section about that.

BAN83 and jtakeman like this.
  13. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

:cheers:Welcome aboard Shivaman. I second that what Ivanhoe said about the beer. Where the h:cheers:ll is Ashton.
    Old Fart

BAN83 likes this.
  14. shivaman

shivaman

It's a stone's throw East of Carleton Place. It's on the map and has an almost famous pub,:cheers:, too.

15. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

:cheers::cheers:I remember going threw Ashton now. Is that pub as famous as the Didley in Douglas. Your not far from Munster do you know a guy named T McCarty. Use to hunt with him up in Griffith Twp. Lots of wild nights there.:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: :fart::fart::fart::fart:
    Old Fart

16. shivaman

shivaman

Never spent time in Douglas but I drove through it a few times. Sorry, don't know Mr. McCarty. It's a small world, just not that small.........:banana:

17. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

That is a good price for that corn. Is it cleaned as well or do you have to clean it. The corn I can get here is $ 200.00 a ton but has to be cleaned. He sells it in 1/2 ton tote bags and I think he told me $ 15.00 for the bag.
    Old Fart

18. shivaman

shivaman

The corn is relatively clean. There is the odd piece of stalk or cob that shows up but they are easily picked out. There is also some dust but that has never been a concern. A lot the bran blows away as you bag it. A simple screen using 1/2 inch hardware cloth would be the way to go, if you are really concerned about removing all the bits.

If you are not keen on bagging it, Momac has a bulk dump chute if you have a pick up or dump truck.

For you, the drive is about 260 Km round trip. If your vehicle averages 8km/l and gas is $1.00/l, the trip would cost you about $33.00 + time.

BAN83 likes this.
  19. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

I thank you sir. I appreciate the info.

BAN83 likes this.
  20. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

Question for the Endurance 50F owners. What setting do you use when burning a 50% mix of P pellets and corn.
    Do you use the P pellet or put it to corn.
    Thanks all Old Fart