In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

This is absolutely fantastic. A must read/watch for all.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by MasterMech, Jan 1, 2014.

  1. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
  2. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    Work smart and hard. I got that advice from my grandpa 18 years ago.
     
  3. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    ,It is true many people graduating college can't find a job that They were educated for.
    I knew I wasn't going to college so I took every shop class I could in high school, and Went to an area skill center On top of that
     
  4. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    WOW THAT IS RIGHT ON!
    I agree 100% with that article! In high school I decided not to go to college because I couldn't afford it and cringed at the idea of raking up all that debt to get a degree. I wanted to go but my dad taught me a strong work ethic and I used that to make a life for myself. I have a great friend that chose the other path and graduated with a crazy expensive degree but he is too afraid of leaving his job to pursue. A job that didn't need a degree. So many people go to school to get a job to make money and hate their jobs, and also go to school because that's what they were told to do.
     
    343amc, Chvymn99, DexterDay and 3 others like this.
  5. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    The whole interview is on reason.com as well. It's darn good!
     
    DexterDay and HDRock like this.
  6. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Couldn't agree more!!

    My wife has several degrees and went to School for 6 yrs. Made the Deans list every year. In Kapa Delta Pie (Honors sorority) and I make 3 times what she does as a teacher. I have several friends who also went to college. They acquired a lot of debt doing so.


    I on the other hand, went to the JVS and have a job I love, that pays well.

    Not saying don't go to college. But there are jobs out there, that's pay extremely well and have great benefits. Work ethic and a good driving force behind you.
     
    will711, 343amc, Chvymn99 and 6 others like this.
  7. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,512
    Likes Received:
    95,514
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I really think our education system has lost its focus on what keeps our economy going. Trades are a very important part of building our communities and they should be promoted more. Finally after many, many years of promoting universities as the ultimate goal, our school system here in BC is starting to find that trades need workers (Duh!!!) and is trying to switch the focus back. I think it will a while before we see any effect though.
     
  8. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    +1 I make more then many of my college grad friends and I love what I do
     
    Pallet Pete, HDRock and DexterDay like this.
  9. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Any old timer will tell you exactly what is wrong with the world today. "Too many chiefs and not enough injuns." ;)
     
  10. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I actually semi-like what I do but I LOVE the guys I work with! We are like a small family at my work....... I have college in a few areas and let me say we spent a fortune between my wife and I going to school. If I had it to do again I would not unless it was cash flowed our educations are not even part of our jobs nor could I even come close to what I make now with my degree.
     
  11. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    Another thing that hacks me off is when teachers tell their students not to pursue a career in a certain field because there is no future in it.:mad:
     
  12. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I will never forget the day a teacher in a specialty bio chemistry class I took told me I will never make anything out of my life. I can't wait for the day I meet him again. As this last year I probably made three times what he did. I always had a job in high school because my parents told me if I wanted a truck, toys and to have fun I was gonna pay for that myself. They taught me how to work, and he thought no high school student should have a job and only focus on school so they could go to college.
     
  13. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    My AG teacher told me I couldn't make a living farming.
     
    swags likes this.
  14. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    This is what years and years and years of college edumication can result in.

     
    the GOAT likes this.
  15. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    I want my 2:09 back.
     
    swags likes this.
  16. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,621
    Location:
    IN
    A wise man once told me to work hard...then smart. I busted @$$ from the time I was 12 to 22 working (farming, mowing, construction)...then went a different route.

    I have a college degree and without it I wouldn't be where I am today...but that's not saying I wouldn't be on equal footing somewhere else without one.

    I got accepted to a very good private engineering school but couldn't stomach the $100K - $120K worth of debt I'd graduate with and went to a state school instead. I actually got enough college scholarship money that I got paid to go to school. My wife was also on a full academic scholarship to a VERY expensive private school. We both graduated very much debt free but could have easily been 200K + in the hole coming out of college.

    I plan on doing this corporate desk job thing for another 15-18 years or so (the money too good not to) and then get a "fun" job. That should coincide nicely with my mid-life crisis and turning 50 and having the last kid out of the house. Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
     
    343amc, MasterMech and concretegrazer like this.
  17. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,621
    Location:
    IN
    "Debt" was the only 4-letter word in his house growing...same in mine.
     
    concretegrazer likes this.
  18. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I worked before and after college. My income more than tripled after I graduated. My my education was aimed at a vocation, not a general degree. My GI bill paid for the education and I worked a 40 hr week, married with two kids at the time. Wife did not work outside the home then.
    I don't think it is the issue of the education that measures the amount of success of this forum's members. Besides being Nuts, this forum's membership is made up of people who are driven to succeed in spite of life's challenges, college or no college. We don't represent the general population. If we did, you know darn well how different thing would be.
    :tree::axe::fire::campfire: In that order!
     
    HDRock, will711, MasterMech and 3 others like this.
  19. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    No degree here.

    I left school after three years for what was a fun occupation back then, programming computers to do useful work. Managed to have a lot of fun at it as well (except for the 24/7/365 phone/beeper thingy, and I still hate phones).

    My son did likewise and is in the newer version of the same field as I was and has an overseas development team. I believe his title is Director of Systems Architecture or some such.

    My youngest daughter has a Masters and is in teaching.

    My oldest daughter who has an associates in hotel and restaurant management, is busy being mommy, running a cleaning business, and is on the go all the time.

    It is no contest in the income arena son wins hands down.

    But they are doing what they love and that is what is needed.

    There are lots of folks out there that are still searching for that and burn out as a result.
     
    savemoney and concretegrazer like this.
  20. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    I had a Job since I was 14 (Uncle had a Construction company) and after I could drive, I got a job in the field I was going to school for (mechanic). By the time I was a senior in High School, I bought a brand new 99 Chevy S-10 Xtreme. I was getting out of school at 11:30am (early release work program). Working 12-8p full time. Any other kid in high schools driving a new truck, was because Mommy and Daddy bought it for them.

    I was always told, If I want something, to work hard for it. :)

    Still follow that rule today. Being lazy gets you nowhere.