In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

RFID Sleeves for Gift Cards?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by wildwest, Nov 28, 2015.

  1. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,675
    Likes Received:
    144,752
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    papadave likes this.
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Good question ww.
    My wife keeps her cards in a case of some kind that is supposed to block.
    Something I hadn't considered.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  3. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    I don't think so, the risk is pretty minimal.

    On the subject - look at raise.com for discounted cards before you pay full retail. There are other sites as well, I just use raise.

    Greg
     
    SKEETER McCLUSKEY and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,675
    Likes Received:
    144,752
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Are the RF codes on credit cards and not store gift cards?
     
  5. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,526
    Likes Received:
    95,602
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Store gift cards up here don't have chips just bar codes. I never thought of the security of mailing them off. Mine are usually buried with other gifts in the main box but I do send birthday cards with gift cards in them.
     
    wildwest and campinspecter like this.
  6. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,512
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Do not know if it works or if it is an old wives tale but my wife always says to wrap the gift card in aluminum foil before sending in the mail.
     
  7. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    I believe this to be correct. Chips would be awfully expensive for "one time" use, wouldn't they?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I've never run into anyone who has had an issue with just giving the GC the way it is. However, I did order some of those protector sleeves for my CCs. the only use of plastic cards issues I have run into, is where there was ID theft from a retail store. My credit union called me, canceled my debit card and issued a new one.
     
    wildwest and papadave like this.
  9. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    I don't think you'd need them. Who's going to scan them that wouldn't just steal the card during delivery? Maybe I'm missing something?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  10. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Maybe the same kinda guy who died in the chimbley. :headbang:
     
    Stinny, concretegrazer and wildwest like this.
  11. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2015
    Messages:
    12,546
    Likes Received:
    61,489
    Location:
    Taconic Range
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
    wildwest likes this.
  12. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    Pics of the guy stuck in the mailbox?:ithappened:
     
    papadave and wildwest like this.