I figured that too, I also thought maybe if only one stove is running it could suck colder air in? This would cause you flue to cool causing creosote? I thought there had to be someone out there that has done this?
+1, I'm sure someone has done this. Don't mean it was right or worked well. I know that most of the new EPA cat stoves need a tight, double-wall stove pipe to work at rated efficiencies. Their efficiency means lower exhaust temperatures. I had a few leaks when I put the new double wall pipe replacing a 90° with 2 - 45°s. Cold night , poor wood, on a low burn I lost draft & CO alarm went off, Fixed leaks & dry wood, no problem since.
I was out doing busy work during work today, and my mind wonders! I get a lot of thinking in on days like today. Lol
I highly doubt anyone would pass code if they tried it. And if they did get away with it, the stoves would not work worth a hoot.
I believe it is against code here to have two appliances in the same flue. I think it has to do with the possibility that CO gas could back feed through an inoperative or lower drafting appliance. Now on to the hypothetical, my clay tiled chimney has an opening of about 9.5"x14". Right now I only have one insulated 6" liner in there that is hooked up to my Buck 81 being used as an insert. Since I have a double sided fireplace, I thought about putting a pellet stove on the currently unused side and running a separate 3" liner up the same flue. Any thoughts on that? I would think I should stagger the height of the two flue liners as they exit the top of the chimney.
Why would it not work worth a hoot? Just wondering if you knew someone who has done It? I was out in Pioli today and the area it full of Amish, so I was checking out there flues and I saw two different houses that had this going on. As you can guess I didn't stop ask them about it, but they did have two tee's in one flue. I'm just curious about it!
It is against code here as well. I was informed that if we wanted an add on furnace we would have to add a second chimney because the gases from the furnace would linger due to bad draft and the sparks from the wood stove would ignite them and POOF! I would assume its a similar situation because it would be very hard to gat a proper draft with two stoves hooked in to one chimney. The explosion part would be N/A here though.
Yea I'm sure it is against code here as well! I wonder if you would have the same problem with just one stove running at a time.......Maybe this is what the Amish were doing, one for the cooking stove and the other for the heater? I don't know......