In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Walnut

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Dec 30, 2013.

  1. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    A neighbor I think perhaps has set their sights a bit too high. They do have several walnut trees they want out. The trouble is, I think the largest one might be 12" diameter. I hate to disillusion them so haven't said much but, does anyone have any idea if many might use something this small if they have a lathe?

    I fear they will be made into firewood but we'll see.
     
    thistle and Pallet Pete like this.
  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I don't know if there would be any value or not. If he/she had the equipment themselves to process it they might get something out of it and the satisfaction. But if you have to pay someone to cut it up into anything I don't think there is enough size there. Interesting. My brother has some black walnut trees that are about 8-10 inches across. I think it may be another 30 years before he can get anything out of them.
     
    thistle likes this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I already told them I'd cut the trees down if they wanted but that is as far as it has gone right now.
     
  4. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Raw tree value is typically overvalued by home owners.
    If trees on your property had the value you think they are worth, the Gov't would increase your property taxes LOL :)

    Walnut has some value, but that small, cost more to haul it to the mill than it's worth.
    To me, it seems a waste for firewood though, but few options.
     
    thistle and BrianK like this.
  5. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Ya I figured you would do that for them Sav. I was talking about if they wanted it cut into boards and had to pay someone there probably isn't enough wood there. But it is beautiful wood and it would be something they could have to remember and talk about if they made it into something.
     
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I agree Dave. Most aren't worth what people seem to think they are worth but, we humor them.
     
  7. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    People think Alaska salmon are worth lots of money.

    When I worked part time commercial fishing .
    Fishermen got .45 ยข per pound for coho salmon.
    Barely pays for the gas for the small guys,
    seems the big profit goes to the "middle men" processors.

    Same with Dad's saw mill, more money in processing logs to boards, than in the logging . Less risk too.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  8. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Dennis around here the lumber mills wouldn't buy that or even cut it. I was told that anything under 18" is a waste of time because there isn't much in it worth keeping or using.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    How about blocks for gun stocks?
     
  10. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    You have to fin a specialty market like thistle uses but he probably gets more than he needs free. Gun stocks is a good idea.

    But big money as you guys know is veneer logs.They Peel and slice veneer. Peelers have about a 6" core so three is not much to peel on that log and if you slice it your widest pieces may be what 8"s?? And sliced veneer is for fur nature so there is a lot of glueing up that would need to be done which would not bring a high price. They want that continuous grain.
     
  11. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Small straight grained logs like that often split out into square/rectangular blocks for turning/carving/small boxes/table & chair legs etc quite true with just 4lb hammer & a pair of wedges.Quick cleanup with hatchet,set them aside 2-4 yrs to dry out.Much faster/easier than sawing.And any scraps are great kindling,plus any that split too much when drying (sometimes it happens) are burned also.
     
  12. Mr A

    Mr A

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    344
    Likes Received:
    536
    Have you priced a carving block on ebay? A 6"x6" cube of stock can go for $50 plus. I'm not a wood carver, and thought I had a fortune from a free walnut score. i emailed with a wood carver supplier that told me each piece is different according to its grains and appearance, and personal preferences.
     
  13. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I wonder if you really tried though, could you get any money for it? Real money from a tree that size.
     
  14. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    You would have to make bowls and cutting boards an stuff. The problem is mostthat do it small scale get those trees free and when u buy wood you want to buy big to maximize production from it.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  15. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,630
    Location:
    IN
    There is a small hobbiest market for that stuff...but you have to know how to move it. Most people don't. Even rough sawn dried walnut isnt bringing much more than a couple bucks a foot unless it is FAS grade.
     
    clemsonfor likes this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I think I'll suggest to them to try ebay.

    I remember when we were logging and also sawing, we simply turned away all walnut. The main reason for that is around here they all came from fencerows. Was not worth changing teeth on the circular saws nor buying new chains for the chainsaws either. Even talking to the bigger mills, most would laugh at the though of walnut. It just isn't worth much on a regular basis but folks hear about the rare ones and then they think they have a gold mine.
     
    clemsonfor likes this.