In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Laying a brick hearth

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by T-Stew, Nov 13, 2015.

1. T-Stew

T-Stew

Just building a simple and somewhat temporary (nothing fancy required) brick hearth extension so that I can put my new Ideal Steel in front of my fireplace. I've finally sourced real brick that will work (lowes just sells smaller concrete pavers, and manards only had ones with holes in them) though I didn't color match as good as I could have, but I'm not too concerned. Anyhow, I'll soon build a base of 23/32 scrap subfloor with 2x4 sides or something like that for a temp mold. It seems 1/2" is normally the spacing, is that true for underneath as well, should the bed be 1/2" thick? Also do you pour the bed and immediately put the bricks in and fill the 1/2" gaps at the same time? First time I've done this so looking for any advice, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    Well Seasoned and Eric VW like this.
  2. will711

will711

If it's temporary why don't you set it dry ? That's what I did Here's a pic of mine with new pellet stove before that was a wood burner.

IMG_0730_1.jpg IMG_0729.jpg

3. will711

will711

And for the record here's the wood burner :D

IMG_1070.jpg

milleo likes this.
  4. T-Stew

T-Stew

Dry wouldn't be legal would it? No way to insure embers wouldn't get down between them?

5. will711

will711

That I don't know mine is on a concrete floor in the basement .

HDRock likes this.
  6. B_Williams

B_Williams

Not positive but I think a sheet metal under the bricks is allowed. That'd prevent embers from falling through.

will711 likes this.
  7. will711

will711

I was wondering if cement backer board was also ?

8. HDRock

HDRock

Just an idea but maybe you could just get yourself a stove board and not have to build anything

B_Williams and will711 like this.
  9. chbryson

chbryson

Why Not put down a sheet of sheet metal, dry set the brick and then rub/pack sand into the grout lines. I'm pretty sure sand would stop an ember since that is what is in every outside ashtray everywhere.
    No sand, use dry concrete mix. same deal, although the humidity may start to harden that mix depending if your temporary setup lasts to spring and summer. .
    Just a thought.

10. T-Stew

T-Stew

Well my question wasn't about whether I should DIY a hearth or buy one... I like building things, and the pre-made hearths are expensive and would probably look worse than what I can do. I've already bought all the materials.

Thought about sand, but that would make it impossible to vacuum the hearth often.

It will be in place for at least a couple years if not more. Instead of saying 'somewhat temporary' perhaps easily removable would have been the better term. I just don't want to modify the nice hearth that is already there, and when I move out I plan on taking the stove with me and reinstalling the insert.

11. HDRock

HDRock

As I said it was just an idea.
    I understand what you're saying but just to be clear, I am not talking about a premade hearth, I'm talking about a stove board, they come in different sizes and are only about a half inch thick

12. T-Stew

T-Stew

I did consider them early on in the project, but as I said more expensive, and would clash against my existing hearth. Though this new brick doesn't match it perfectly either.

HDRock likes this.
  13. T-Stew

T-Stew

Well I watched a few youtube videos and read a few posts on the matter but still lots of questions as most skipped steps or were for building vertical walls, etc. But I went ahead and winged it today.

Good enough for me. One question still... I was going to trim it with wood trim like 1x4 pine board with a chamfered edge, but my brickwork was not 100% perfect so the edge isn't all uniform. Some of the bricks are 1/8" or so from the edge... if I trim it with wood this may create a small gap. Maybe not a big deal? Thinking ash and dirt could accumulate though perhaps the ash vac would be strong enough to suck it out. I could lay another edge of mortar around it between the brick and pine board but the base doesn't stick out past the current edge so that might be awkward to do. Maybe lay a thick bead of silicon or liquid nails? I was probably going to liquid nails it anyhow. Open to ideas.

hearth_construction3.jpg

And how long to let it set before I can place the stove on? Could I move the stove on next weekend?

mike bayerl likes this.
  14. jo191145

jo191145

2-3 days and everything should be set well enough to put the stove on. I have a saying in the masonry field. "If it don't stay now it never will". :)

I wouldn't put mortar around the edge. That's more unprofessional than gaps. Unless it's natural stone but on brick, no.

T-Stew and HDRock like this.
  15. B_Williams

B_Williams

I just about finished up our hearth pad build today. We used slate but similarly, our edges aren't perfect. I laid a strip of lattice material (single board) across the 1x6 sides that overlap onto the slate. Voila. Can't tell the slate edges are jagged as heck...

T-Stew likes this.