After I finished up the county snowmobile trail that runs through part of our property, I started on some trails we planned on riding, at first it's not that bad but the last two pictures in my second post is a mess, I might start back at it tomorrow depending on how I feel.
UGH! That looks like a lot of work. That is what Watertown and south of them looks like. I bet the snow on top of the ice is making it "interesting" for you as well. Watch your footing and be safe woodlands. Beautiful pictures.
The footing wasn't that bad, I did have those spikes on that they use to ice fish. The ice on the wood, you better have your face shield in the down position when cutting. I took today & tomorrow off from the woods, I'll clean the pellet stove chimney tomorrow an put some wood in for this cold stretch coming in, then I'm heading down so I can help my neighbor get some wood in, he has some ice build up which makes it real tricky getting wood in.
That is good of you. And a good idea with those spikes. I have not thought of using those. I always try to move slowly when cutting in the winter. Things can be so slippery. I always try to remember to flick the wrist and set the brake before I start moving around. I learned that from one of you folks a few years back on the other site. Only takes a second to set the brake. Good advice, and heeded. (Did I spell that one right? LOL)
That is so gorgeous! Wish we had snow like that instead of this flipping rain! It is so wet outside right now you sink 2-3 inches just walking across the yard.
It looks nice but Mother Nature made a chit load of work, if we get hit with this heavy wet snow it will be worse. The trails for sledding are a mess, what is open lost it's snow. They plan on working (again) this week on the trails, it looks like they're trying to open up some trails east of us.
Sorry about the mess you have to cleanup. Hope it goes quickly for you and hope it's not as bad as you think.
Last time I declared the trails sled ready we had the ice storm, after working on them today, I declare them sled ready, again. Most of the work today was throwing some of the previous cut up branches further off the trail, pic 8490 & 91 are a before and after. Pics 8496 & 98 was the last of the trail clearing, most of it was cleaning up some downed stuff.
It was a nice day for working in the woods, we don't have the winds yet but that will change. I wanted to cut but I stuck with the plan, when I returned home I covered another .61 of a cord of Beech & Sugar Maple, the way winter is going we'll need it.
Certain areas on the trails will be much wider next year, I'll just have to make the time. The small chipper we have should be busy next year.
I am going to have to look into a chipper sometime in the future. A few years off though. I will probably rent one, a larger one for a weekend when I get enough work all cut and in place for it. The maybe have a small one for stuff up to 4". Anything bigger than that and I will burn it. But there is to much old dead pine I need chipped to burn. What type chipper do you own? How do you like it?