In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

These Stoves are Heavy!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Kimberly, Oct 4, 2015.

  1. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I went by Lowe's Home Improvement the other day during a break in the monsoon and they had a couple of new stoves in. The stove they had on discount from last year was gone. I noticed that they had an England's Stove Works model on the floor along side a Pleasant Hearth. I decided to see how heavy these stoves are. I tried to see if I could lift the England's Stove Works front legs off the floor; sort of tilting it a bit. I could not bulge the stove at all. That thing was heavy! I tried the Pleasant Heart with the same results. This got me to thinking about the floor structure and if I would need to add additional support to the floor where the stove will be located.

    Of course I am worried that I won't be burning wood this winter. I should have all the bits and pieces needed for the chimney. I may have to buy an additional section to make sure it is high enough and I may need to buy the roof support as well if I need to go higher. My friend is planning on coming down October 14 and the main goal is to get the chimney installed. I will need to make some brackets to offset the chimney from the wall. Someone on the forum showed me how they made the brackets for their offset; the only problem is that it involved welding so that means a trip to the local welding shop.

    I need to search the forums on building the hearth; that is something that I have no idea of how to do, what materials to use, or anything. I asked some guys at Lowe's but they had no idea.

    I get a bit discourage at times but I am determined to be burning wood this winter.

    Hugs to all
    -Kimberly
     
  2. ChuckinMichigan

    ChuckinMichigan Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2015
    Messages:
    465
    Likes Received:
    1,000
    Location:
    Southeastern Michigan
    I'm sure these blokes in here will be more than happy to help a damsel in need of wood burning assistance. ;) :) :yes:

    Right guys? Guys? *looks around* now where'd they go? :rofl: :lol:
     
    raybonz, Eric VW and NYCountry like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Just keep coming back here. We'll keep ya' going.
    If you're still getting that NC13, you'll need a pretty hefty R-value for the hearth. I did mine with Wonderboard, but Durock is basically the same stuff.
    W/o looking at the manual, I'd say that stove is probably in the 300lb. range. No more than a couple people standing in one spot.
     
  4. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Just checked the HD website, and they say it's 289 lbs., so there ya' go.
     
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yeah, that isn't gonna' work. We'll help ya'. Keep it in the family, so to speak.:thumbs:
     
    Eric VW and HDRock like this.
  6. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Thanks for the laugh.
     
    Eric VW and ChuckinMichigan like this.
  7. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I hope I am because I have no money for a stove. I will figure out a way to get it. If I can get it to New Jersey, my friend will bring it down to me.
     
    Eric VW, HDRock and papadave like this.
  8. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,648
    Likes Received:
    144,591
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    My old home........I raised fish..... several thousand pounds of water. Hubby put on extra floor joists underneath and then floor jacks (the red poles you see in unfinished basements, not sure I used the right name) if that gives you any ideas.

    Oh, and in our old trailer, he used pine fence posts under the bedroom for our waterbed.
     
  9. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,115
    Likes Received:
    163,199
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Heck that stove only has 24 lbs on me :bug:(us OH-IO farm boys is bigguns :)) and I haven't fell through any floors yet.
    'Til you get the R value protection built up that you will need, the floor should be plenty sturdy
     
    OhioStihl, Eric VW, papadave and 2 others like this.
  10. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,610
    Location:
    Vermont
    kimberly, it's ready to go in garage :D... PM me what your friends schedule is and I will drive to Jersey to meet him and help him load it in his
    truck... Soo.. everyone knows.. my Sister in law moved from Roanoke VA to Maine 1 month before our trip.... so our trip south went east:hair:.. None the less shipping is crazy.. and storage in Jersey is a challenge.....so logistics has been a pain.. but for a good deed for a hoarder it's lookin like a road trip which is :yes: ... Any ways. looks like 2 weeks it will be in its new home! Myself, I am just happy to be a small part of a great group of people to help a great person be her kind independent self...
     
  11. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    CbVT, I'm thinkin' you really don't need to explain yourself to anyone here.
    Stuff happens, and the fact that you're still working on this despite that, says tons about you.
    It's all gooder.
    Still looking forward to pics of all this.
     
  12. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,648
    Likes Received:
    144,591
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    x2
     
  13. ChuckinMichigan

    ChuckinMichigan Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2015
    Messages:
    465
    Likes Received:
    1,000
    Location:
    Southeastern Michigan
    Not a problem. just trying to lighten the mood a little. :) But, I also will tell you this: you think those stoves that you saw are heavy? go take a look at that progress hybrid made by Woodstock soapstone company, that thing is over 700 pounds! and that's not even what it weighs in a crate. That thing would take a small tractor to get it in your house or a bobcat or a whole lot of really strong men. It's a great stove, but it's real heavy. that's because it made of cast iron and soapstone and both of those put together are quite heavy. :eek::jaw::bug:
     
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  14. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,115
    Likes Received:
    163,199
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Man, what a generous dood! We should all throw a couple bucks together to help cover road trip expenses, I'd be in...what y'all think?
     
  15. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,648
    Likes Received:
    144,591
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    yes
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  16. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,610
    Location:
    Vermont

    I just feel bad it's not there yet.. and I live in snow central soooooo... it needs to get out of garage.. and too a good home of fellow hoarder and dare I say a friend!:D More over got to clean basement because got new replacements of all firebrick in a box to go with it too...

    plus I know me... Kimberly did me a favor by wanting it! otherwise I would not have ordered new one on time. next thing you know it would be winter again. life is busy and hectic but one of the life rules do what's right and let the rest take care of itself!
     
    Horkn, Eric VW, basod and 3 others like this.
  17. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,648
    Likes Received:
    144,591
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Or, pool $ for a fastenal shipment?
     
    Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  18. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,115
    Likes Received:
    163,199
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    ? I'm not familiar...I'm mean yeah fastenal and all...just not the shipping part
     
    Horkn, Stinny and wildwest like this.
  19. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,648
    Likes Received:
    144,591
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I have a winch from Stinny (Maine to Wyoming), Fastenal beat all other shipping quotes by a good percent! I guess we need Canadian border VT to add up his time and gas $$ (hotel?) for making the trip vs a shipping quote.

    Edit, Fastenal carries cargo when thier trucks from store to dc etc are not at full capacity.....
     
    Horkn, Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  20. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,115
    Likes Received:
    163,199
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I did not know that...VERY interesting! I deal with those guys all the time, hafta keep that in mind
    Yup
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.