In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My big yard light died, fix or replace?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by HDRock, Sep 11, 2015.

  1. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Got it all fixed up, put up one of these today, lost my balance a little once but managed to not fall off the ladder :thumbs:
    All-Pro 33-Watt Gray/Silver LED Dusk-to-Dawn Security Light
    Tested it all out, we will see how I like the light output when it gets dark, can't tell in the daylight but it looks like it will do the job
    Bought a new dusk-to-dawn fixture for the front porch and put that up to, 13 Watts fluorescent
     
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Good job HD. Hope ya like it. Le$$ power is a nice bonu$ too... :yes:
     
    raybonz, HDRock and papadave like this.
  3. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    You asked! I have 4 LED lights outside that give me lots of light and all run for less than the cost of a incandescent bulb. Just pennies. That light you have is $$$$$$. You can get a new light with 4000 lumens for $60 bucks and save about 90% of what you are paying now.
    [​IMG] upload_2015-9-16_15-45-15.png
     
    raybonz, HDRock and papadave like this.
  4. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That looks pretty good but I'm not a Sam's Club member.
    I looked at a lot of different lights and read reviews and picked that one
     
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    You did well. These are also on Amazon.
    I didn't see the lumens listed for your light. Are they on the box? about maybe 3500?
     
    HDRock likes this.
  6. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I wanted to buy it locally too, so if was anything wrong with it out of the box, or went wrong with it in the first 30 days I could just take it back.
    I found some cheaper but the reviews weren't as good
    They have the same light at Home Depot and Menards
    this is the information from the Home Depot

    all 3 of my porch lights are now dusk to dawn set up, CFL and yes I have them all on every night
    • 5000K, 3100 Lumens, 73 CRI
    • Light output equivalent to 200-Watt incandescent bulb, 100-Watt mercury vapor bulb
    • Over 13 years of maintenance-free LEDs with lifespan of 50,000 hours
     
    milleo and papadave like this.
  7. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    As far as the energy consumed, I'm sure it will be a lot better than a 30 year old 175 watt mercury vapor
     
    raybonz, basod and papadave like this.
  8. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Pitch dark out now, the light is plenty bright,, and a whiter light than the old one, the light spreads out only a tiny bit less than the old one, this is going to work out just fine, I'm happy with it:thumbs: as long as it lasts somewhere close to 13 years
     
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    savemoney, raybonz, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.