Just came across the radio. They estimated the infestation is two years old, blame firewood. They are extending g the quarantine.
Union is in the bottom 2 tiers of counties,previous discoveries were in the 4-5 extreme NE ones.Not in Polk or Guthrie counties yet either,but I have a bad feeling it wont be too long....
Brother when it hit us it hit us hard and fast. There are dead Ash in such large amounts that people can't get them fast enough to prevent rotting. What a shame sorry to hear that Jack.
As for the rotting, we've been cutting since 2002 and have so far had only one tree go down on its own and another with the top out but that was probably caused when we had a big blow because right by that one we had 4 others out by the roots. I'm still amazed that there haven't been more but there will be. I have found over the years that ash is perhaps the best for keeping a long time before going punky. It does extremely well in that area. As for you folks in Iowa, we feel for you. This is not going to be pretty.
Not much anyone can do, it's not going to stop until all the ash trees are gone. I've enjoyed the firewood but looking at the wood lots around here makes you sad!