In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Michigan wood pellets - this years observations

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by 343amc, Dec 18, 2013.

  1. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I was at Menards a couple days ago and the usual skid of Michigan pellets was sitting in the store. Since they were on sale, I figured I'd try a few bags of them. They're by far the most common pellet around here.

    Here are my non scientific observations:

    1. The pellet length is much shorter than I remember in the past. Not quite as short as Somersets, but on par with the Pro Pellets I've been burning this season.

    2. Very little dust. Less dust than the Pro Pellets.

    3. Some fines, but nowhere near as bad as I remember in the past. About the same amount of fines as the Pro Pellets.

    4. Ash is hard to measure as I didn't do a full cleaning before hand, but based off what I can tell they appear to be burning a lot cleaner. Heat output is good, haven't had to turn up the furnace to keep the house at an even temp (been running manual mode lately even though i hooked up the t-stat a while back).

    Take it for what its worth, but it looks like this years pellets are better than in previous years. I'm still not sure that I'd buy a full ton of them at $179 a ton when I can get Pro Pellets for $189/ton, but they appear to be much improved over years past.
     
  2. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Always nice to have options, especially less expensive ones. :)
     
    343amc and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  3. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    Yep, and these are always available in my area. Every box store around here carries them, and they're still in stock until about April.

    I may pick up a few more bags for grins. I'm a bit gun shy running them during a cold snap, but with temps around 30 they're doing the job. I'm cautiously optimistic that they may have turned the corner and are putting out a better product. Time will tell.

    Worst part is that these are the same price as Somersets when Menards gets those. Both have the same SKU and are both 'premium pellets' according to their computers. I run home for the pickup as fast as I can when the 'sets are in stock. I throw 5 bags in the trunk when the Michigans are on sale. :)
     
  4. Lousyweather

    Lousyweather

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2013
    Messages:
    2,798
    Likes Received:
    9,040
    yea, tried the Michigans several years back and was amazed at how much ash they produced....and I mean ALOT....glad to hear they are better this year.....qualities can change, fer sure