In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Good brand electric heater De'Longhi??

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by HDRock, Dec 17, 2013.

  1. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I have a couple of oil filled heaters for backup, One of them went poop so I need to get another, But I don't want to get the same kind of crap That only lasted 2 years.
    I am looking at this one
    De'Longhi Oil-Filled Radiant Tower Electric Space Heater
    Recommendations for others??
     
  2. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    No replies, Oh well I already went and picked it up.
    I will put this one in the bedroom, , It has a remote control, Don't even have to get out of bed to turn it on :thumbs: :D
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  3. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,756
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Let me know how it works. My last couple were duds.
     
  4. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    What size of heater?
     
  5. BrowningBAR

    BrowningBAR

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    2,105
    Location:
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    When our boiler die six years ago I ran out an bought 3 electric heaters. All in the 1500 wattage size. One was an oil-filled tower heater much like this one. All three combined did not do much to improve the temp in this old house, but it did give us a $475 electric bill for the month.
     
  6. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    So far so good, I tested it out the night after I got it, And it does put out more heat than the other one I have, both of the same wattage, And it heats up Faster, very fast for that type of heater. I could tell you more later when it gets really cold again because that is the only times I use These electric heaters
    , It looks to be better quality, You don't even have to put it together, Just unfold The wheels From the bottom and plug in and turn it on.
    The other ones I had cost $40 this one cost 70, Is better quality, and has more bells and whistles
    It has some nice features you can set it at preset temperature and have it turn on Automatically, And a timer to have it turn on And off at a certain time (Something,I'll probably never use).
    I found out this company has been around for like 20 years Or more
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  7. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Obviously these types of heaters have their place, Of when, where, and how to use them.
    In shoulder season they will heat MY entire house, and It doesn't really cost a lot, I only use them like that once in a great while
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  8. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I don't understand the question, if you click on that link you will see The size and specs of the heater
     
  9. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    Didn't see the link. :D
     
  10. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
    We have two of these heaters.. Originally had one in the rental house in Rhode Island during winter 11-12 and then had two of them in the beach rental in 12-13. Having the electric heaters in these two houses allowed us to turn off the primary heating source and just heat the rooms we were using overnight for sleeping. At $0.15 per KWH, we figured that each 1500 watt heater cost a maximum of $0.225 per hour to run or about $2.25 for an overnight. A lot cheaper than running our original 70's oil boiler overnight. These allowed us to shut off the boiler in RI and the propane wall heater in the beach house each night and then turn them on again for breakfast. Both of these houses cooled off rapidly indicating a significant heat loss. In the RI house, using the electric heater boosted our electric bill about $100-$150 in the winter months but it allowed us to get through a whole year and only burn 200 gallons of oil (not bad for New England in a 1800 sqft raised ranch). In the beach house, using 2 of these heaters allowed us to reduce our propane deliveries for which we were paying $3.49 per gallon again saving us money. Check your plan with your electric company and see if your use of electric heaters some how puts you in a different category allowing you to pay a lower rate per KWH. Bottom line, I'm a fan of these heaters, not to heat an entire structure, but as point source heaters to reduce overall energy consumption by not heating unused portions of the house.
     
    Chvymn99 and HDRock like this.
  11. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I am really surprised at how much better this one works than the others.
    I loaded up to stove last night a little too early so it was chilly this Morning, So, Before I loaded the stove up, I cranked up the De'Longhi, It heated up the bedroom 9 degrees in 1 hour, With the Bedroom door open, If the longevity Is as good as the performance It will serve me well
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  12. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    All space heaters by law can only be 1500 watts. 1500 Watts is 1500 weather it be ceramic, infrared or oil. We just get the small cube ceramic ones. They will warm a small room up in an hour or so. Set them and they come on and off as needed and use to be had for $20. We had them when I grew up and they seemto lastyears . There all at the farm right now i think. This thread makes me wish I had it back for the bedroom at night for when we shut the door. We try to just use stove heat as heat pump is craZy expensive on cold nights in this house.
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  13. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    I agree, 1500 watts is 1500 watts. Then its just a matter of pesonal preferance. I have had two of these for ten years, but they rarely get used. I think they cost $19 each at wallyworld. They plug directly into the receptacle, no cord to trip on. The fan keeps them cool (warm) to the touch. I've used them in a tent, sitting right on the sleeping bags ( not all night, just to warm it up before going to bed and in the morning to get dressed). I used one the other day in my vehicles to melt all the ice off the glass. image.jpg
     
  14. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    To help get the house up to temp while loading up the stove in morning ,running two 1500 watt heaters at the far end of the house from stove room ,for 1 hour each day ( although I don't do it every day)
    ,@ 0.083791 per KWH, would cost me
    Cost Per Hour: $0.251373
    Cost Per Day:$0.251373
    Cost Per Week:$1.760
    Cost Per Month:$7.04
    Cost Per Year:$91.50
     
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  15. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,482
    Likes Received:
    113,756
    Location:
    KC Metro
    I used them a lot before I got my wood burning stove, in both this house & rental. It was a LOT cheaper than using the furnace. Now we use them periodically for the bedroom. But with the new stove it's even less use age.
     
  16. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Good point, space heaters are 100% efficient. Most duct work is leaky.
     
    HDRock, Chvymn99 and clemsonfor like this.