Been looking at these off and on and havent heard much of this brand. This thing appears to be pretty well built, if a bit utilitarian. It will take a 20"log and is reasonably priced. Anyone had experience with these? http://superiorfireplaces.us.com/products/wxs2021
about $1200. Yeah that seems like a small firebox for logs that size. Ive also been pointed to the Englander nc-13. About half the price and people seem to be pretty happy with them. Any input there?
Yeah, I got a nc-13, not a bad little stove for the price. but do not believe their numbers. it may heat 1800 square feet in southern climates but not on the border. Also.. it eats wood! firebox is 2 cubic feet and needs to be filled often. If you want an ash pan that works this is not stove for you. but it got me thru the last 4 or 5 years. I had a tornado and loggers came and cleaned up left me 10 cord of wood so I got it on clearance at home Depot. it will hold 20 inch splits but box is short so only 3 high.
$ 1200 - NC30 by Englander 3 cf box, easier to build small fire in big stove than push smaller one. Or the Drolet line out of Canada - again basic stove long history. And both are fully approved by agencies of both countries. ( and that is not cheap to accomplish)
plus 2, if you want an Englander definitely get nc-30, for Michigan. Firebox size increase will let you get some sleep. I personally made other choices but efficiency and usable ash tray were important too me. good luck!
Thanks for the input guys. Gettin either of these will let me use the home depot card and get the free interest instead of dumping a pile of cash right before winter when im laid off. I only sleep 6 or 7 hours of interrupted sleep anyway ( 1 year old child thats a trbl sleeper haha) so a mid-night fill of the stove wouldnt be the worst thing ever.
And a friend an i installed a new 95+ gas furnace last fall so this will be a supplement. It will burn round the clock for a good 5 months im sure but i have no illusions of any stove heating the entire house effectively due to the sort of rambling layout.
Thanks for the link. I found this insert that looks very nice. There's a dealer close to where I work. Wct 6820. Wife approved the sight test...
Don't know how many sq ft you have, but you might be surprised at how well a 30nc or myriad will heat your house. One reason I bought a 30nc was that there is so much information to be found about them and so many positive reviews. The answers to just about any questions on these stoves can be found, whether it's to do with installation, operation or something that might break. I looked at stoves for over a year and had almost decided on some that cost 3 times as much, and in the end, I doubt I could be happier with any other stove. My house is only 1000 sq ft and I never even considered anything less than a 3 cf stove. A big stove will keep you warm on the coldest of nights, when it matters most. The 30nc is a heat monster that's reasonably priced.