OK guys, here's the story, about 8 years ago I had to replace the skylights on the horse bar as they were leaking. This was about the time I built a deck. The deck is 12 by 20 2 stories. Well I over build decks because I have a tendency to over load them Anyway when I replaced the skylight I ordered 10 extra smoke colored panels. My now wife had just moved in, and the deck dripped a lot, so it was going to be my wood deck for the 8 months of winter we get here at the 45th parallel. But the rest of the year it is the wife's sunset deck! At that time they did not sell the nice kits they have now so I put it up to make it work! For you construction guys the deck is 2 by 10 framed with face plates being 2 by 12. the 2 by 10 are sister ed or 2 of them together. and 8 by 8 posts on point loads. the face plates are also timberlok, to floor joist of the house. underneath the 2 by 10 have a carrying beam of 3 2 by 12 with PT plywood between them. Yeah its over built but will hold 10 cords! So I did all of that but made a mistake when I put up the polycarbonate panels I used strapping to put pitch so water runs out away from house. We'll the strapping worked for a while then rotted and the 9 inches of rain we got in June caused them to droop and had to be drained every half inch or water could back into house behind siding The house I've owned for 12 years now and I can count the days on 1 hand I could not put up a kite! so it had to be not raining or too windy and I needed an extra set of hands because flexible 12 foot panel over you head kind of requires that! So pics or it didn't happen... Well this time the strapping is half inch, 2 x 6 thru the table saw, 1 inch deck boards and 1.5 inch all PT and should not rot! the pitch is 2 inches over 12 feet or almost double a sewer line so it should drain effectively! going up.. g. Done! Well not true needs edges siliconed but I can't do that today.. Finish a project.. what a bad example to set after only 4 years of marriage! Best part only cost 15 dollars for new screws everything else was here left over from projects. and keeps most rain snow off my wood! It's pool and time
I helped my buddy redo something very similar. His was metal roofing - but he has trees around, after 15yrs of leaf debris buildup the strapping let go. I'm glad he called me for help because the metal was near ready to rip loose on top of him
Thanks basod, yeah help was necessary. no leaf debris but found quite a few bee hives. the 2 end were secured 2 bottom of rafters so they held but middle sagged heavy in 9 inches of rain in june... kept having to push them up to drain Thought I get more comments on structure as all my builder friends say it is over built to point of almost dumb. but I may put a nice hot tub up there so better too much than not enough as it is 15 feet up. then I can watch or shoot deer eating my apple trees in hot tub with drink in hand..
I think most of us build stuff to park dump trucks on? You'll probably still need to add to the structure - hard to tell if you're 16/24 centered on the joists? I can't see how the post - beam connection is made from the pics found a few of those too
16 centered. the 4 8 x 8 support point load. notched into joist lag bolted.yeah probably could hold dump truck
the carrying beam is under deck that supports the upper deck.. yeah posts are lagged to joists. I don't like decks that wiggle.. bottom deck can hold 12 plus cord in winter..