In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Junk Mail Opt-Out

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by wildwest, Jul 9, 2015.

  1. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,666
    Likes Received:
    144,674
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Crazy but true, I actually get more junk mail here than at my previous home of 20 years. Not worth the trouble.

    Then again I am still new to this town and like to see some of local business ads/notices etc.

    I found these 2 places

    CatalogChoice.org
    DMAchoice.org


    Is there a better place to use? Anything .gov?
     
  2. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I get a catalog from Herschners (sp), and I have absolutely no idea why.
     
    Stinny and wildwest like this.
  3. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    I just have mine forwarded to some place in Wyoming!:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

    Gary
     
    savemoney, HDRock, Jack Straw and 4 others like this.
  4. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,666
    Likes Received:
    144,674
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Stinny likes this.
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I get a Northern Tool catalog every 15 minutes... :ups:
     
    wildwest likes this.
  6. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,666
    Likes Received:
    144,674
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Cabelas
     
    Stinny likes this.
  7. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,666
    Likes Received:
    144,674
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Actually the credit card offers are much worse than cabelas. I think I did the 5 year opt out correctly....
     
  8. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Who? ... Ooooooh, you mean LL Bean... yep, heard of them... ;)
     
    Jack Straw and wildwest like this.
  9. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,666
    Likes Received:
    144,674
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    x2!!
     
    Stinny likes this.
  10. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    My honey saves all of the newspapers and junk stuff for fire starters. In a season, I'll go thru a stack maybe 2' high. Not the plastic coated stuff tho.
     
    Shawn Curry and wildwest like this.
  11. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    I have a chute built into the rear of my mailbox. You just reach in from the front and push them rearward down a chute into the recycle box...............................
     
  12. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,287
    Likes Received:
    66,685
    Location:
    IN
  13. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
  14. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    schlot, Woodwidow and wildwest like this.
  15. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    I like to stuff all of my junk mail like pizza and fast food flyers into those pre addressed and stamped envelopes from unsolicited credit card companies etc. and mail them back. :D

    Not only do they pay to mail the it to you, they pay the return postage and then they have to pay someone to open up the envelope on the other end and dispose of my recycling :whistle:

    Just make sure that nothing has your name on it when you stuff the envelope ;)
     
    unclefess, 343amc, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  16. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    I do that with credit card offers, take anything like your name and stuff off and then tear it up in little pieces and mail them back! Years ago I would get company that would send a book unsolicited and then expect you to pay for it or send the book back . A little Elmers glue between the pages and back it would go.:whistle:

    Gary
     
    wildwest likes this.
  17. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,520
    Likes Received:
    95,560
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    If I get credit card solicitations, I write on it "Remove from mailing list" and put it their addressed and stamped envelope and send it back. A couple of times doing that and they quit coming. Any magazine should have a website which you can cancel junk mailing. Otherwise find their subscription card, write on it and mail it back. Upon request, our Post Office will put a red dot on the sorting side on any mailbox that doesn't want junk flyer etc. I get the flyers for our two local grocery stores but what gets me is the flyers from stores in Nanaimo - 4 hours drive away. For those fans of Cabela, they opened a new store in Campbell River so we get flyers for that now.
     
    campinspecter and wildwest like this.
  18. unclefess

    unclefess Guest

    no one likes junk mail but i feel its wrong to classify cabelas flyers as junk
     
    wildwest and XXL like this.
  19. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,666
    Likes Received:
    144,674
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    guess I picked the wrong example for this site :emb:
     
    unclefess and schlot like this.
  20. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I get them too, Love to look through them. I do order from them. My membership has some free shipping. For me it sure beats going from store to store.
    I also buy a lot from Amazon, but surprised no publications from them. The UPS delivery persons knows my dogs names!