When I got the Beta Ideal Steel stove, I sold my Fireview to my brother Tim (forum member TurboDiesel). He had not planned on installing a stove before this opportunity came up, so he is starting from scratch on firewood. I gave him two cords of white oak but it needs to season for a good while before he can use it. He posted about building a bin in his basement for the kiln dried oak ends (that I've used in the past too) on this thread: The new wood storage bin is done So we've been searching locally for some deals on firewood and I found a listing on Craigslist for "7 cords of seasoned hardwoods for $850." The seller converted from a wood stove to a coal furnace and wanted to sell all his CSS firewood - including the homemade racks he used to stack them on in single rows for seasoning as well as enough rubber roofing material to cover all that firewood stacked in single rows. Its only been CSS since April of 2013 so we are not necessarily planning on burning it this season. We bought it and split it 50/50. We hauled out 5 trailer loads with my 16'x6' dual axle trailer, and each load was about 4"-6" above the 2' sides. By my math that's about 1.75 cord per load for a total of ~ 8.5 cords. Wood was a combination of locust, hard maple, ash, oak and hickory (and a couple dozen cherry rounds). They are cut too short for our tastes, 12-14", and a lot of it needs split, but with enough rubber roofing for topcovers for my double stacked firewood as well as my brother's, and enough firewood racks for my brother who is starting from scratch, we're more than happy with this CL score. Here's the first two loads stacked at my brother's, racks still being emptied at the seller's, then unloading today at my house, and a typical round from this load last night in the stove (which I'm pretty sure is ash, so I wasn't overly concerned about moisture content just goofing around with one log):
Sounds like a winner to me Brain and Tim. Once in a while you can run into some good buys and this is one of them.
Yes, it was a good find and the seller was a good guy, a local contractor/carpenter. (The second day we were there, he told me I had treated him for a heel spur years before and that his foot was great since. I remember many of my patients but I've seen over 7000 people since I started practice 18 years ago and I didn't remember him at first. Thank heavens he got better. )
I'll bet that was super running into an old patient. Not surprised at the numbers you give. Lots of folks have foot problems. My wife was one of them but fortunately she got most of the problems fixed. Just left here with a couple drop toes. She does not like that for sure, because she is a hillbilly that hates wearing shoes and socks.
CSS wood, & the racks I'd say a great score @ roughly $100 per cord. Near 8 months seasoned, lots of it might be burnable if needed . Good story to go along with it too "Hey Doc, probably don't remember me, but here's my foot, remember it " LOL I can relate to that. 1 leg shorter than the other & bare footed
Brothers hu? Well we will be watching you to trouble makers closely. Nice score TD! Enjoy the stove too it's a beauty.
Also scored this White Oak for free. Anybody got a chainsaw I can borrow? And a really big splitter! (REALLY bad cell phone pics) (REALLY bad cell phone pics)
If you were closer....I'd drop that beast & buck it up for ya... That monster is just perfect for the 2100CD or the Mac SP125
Scotty has a saw that could drop that one, and he's in the same county. Hey Scotty! Check this one out.