23°, 35 mph winds, clear Gust to 60 Wood drying wind DOT road weather site a few miles down the road:
Actually the wood dries a lot thru winter. Sublimation Like if you throw an un-wrapped steak in your freezer, freezer burn Walked by the stack to day, several splits are just starting to show end grain drying cracks.
I can see the signs of the outer bare wood parts of the splits drying, but can't "see" outer drying happening either. Just know it will be cracked on the end grain a lot in the spring. The (South) sun side shows more cracks & drying signs. Thru summer, the inner moisture wicks to the outer bare wood & looses a lot of water weight. No drying out the water tight birch bark side though. (I guess that's why it made good canoes) One year out in the stack, 2 years in the shed, good & dry when it's burn time. Today's 40 mph wind picture:
I can't take the wind, it pi$$e$ me off. Framed houses for years, some days you couldn't leave a bundle of 1/2 plywood without weighting it down, sheets flying off like cards all over the job site. Its a wonder I never had anyone get hurt or killed.
The low humidity (34%) , 45mph wind & 17° is drying out the driveway & the deck The ice is going somewhere, Sublimation ?