In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cleaning cabinets?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by basod, May 17, 2015.

  1. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    GF want's to clean the grease from her southern frying off the cabinet above the stove.
    I say Murphy's oil soap.

    Anyone have a better idea?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  2. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    We use formula 409 as it is a grease cutter.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  3. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    no issues with eating the polyurethane off the cabinets?
    She wanted to use my Spray Nine which eats varnish & waxed finishes.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  4. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    basod and wildwest like this.
  5. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Do Not use Fantastic....:whistle:
     
    basod and Horkn like this.
  6. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    started to confuse the two 409 & fantastic thanks WW
    409 is one of the few approved non-chlorinated cleaners for turbine blades at work
     
    wildwest likes this.
  7. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Dawn or eqivalent works well to cut grease.
    I use the Wally version.
     
    basod, wildwest and schlot like this.
  8. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'd probably start with Dawn also. Try using a Magic Eraser with light pressure as well, those things really are magic!!
     
    papadave and wildwest like this.
  9. Norky

    Norky

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2013
    Messages:
    972
    Likes Received:
    3,083
    409 is what I'd use.
    When we made the new kitchen, I was adamant about getting a vented range hood and overall, it's probably the wisest choice I made for the kitchen.
    I browned 25 lbs. of ground beef the other day and besides the grease spatter on the stove top everything was clean and it didn't smell like I'd even cooked anything.
    With the old hood, the wife would have come in the door and said 'what stinks'?
    It also doubles as a fart disposal unit.
     
    basod, wildwest and schlot like this.
  10. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,278
    Likes Received:
    66,633
    Location:
    IN
    Vinegar.
     
    basod and wildwest like this.
  11. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    I just had visions of you next to the stove, aiming your backside towards the range hood. :)
     
    basod, papadave and wildwest like this.
  12. Norky

    Norky

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2013
    Messages:
    972
    Likes Received:
    3,083
    I just let'em go wherever, it's the wife that evacuates my flatulence. There's no escaping the dutch oven though.
     
    basod, wildwest and schlot like this.
  13. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    yooperdave tried a small bathroom fart fan for cigars, guess it didn't work, maybe he could put one of you kitchen hoods in instead?
     
  14. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,379
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    wildwest i had actually considered fabricating a sheet metal hood of some sorts to capture the cigar smoke and direct it into the fan! Funny you should bring that up! 99 nixed that one. I would have had to stay in one place while smoking in the workshop and have this hood hanging down-so that was the end of that. (No problem though, smoking cigars does not take that much importance in my life.)
     
    wildwest likes this.
  15. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,379
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    As far as getting the cabinets clean, if nothing else-you could always try sand paper lightly?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  16. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I'd never heard it called a fart fan before, that name STILL cracks me up :rofl: :lol:
     
  17. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,655
    Likes Received:
    144,629
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    :picard:I think we all did :rofl: :lol:
     
    basod and schlot like this.
  18. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    cabinets are ~4yo just a spring cleaning she's wanting.
    She had a cataract taken off of one eye and now can actually see things while she's cleaning, it's not terrible build up but her southern fried pork chops exacerbate matterso_O
     
  19. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    the label specifically warns against use on satin or gloss finishes, but I agree they do clean up stuff really well