In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Black ice drive pics

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by fox9988, Dec 8, 2013.

  1. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Finally made it home from work this morning. Most of the roads thawed yesterday after plowing and sunshine, but didn't dry. Overnight lows in the teens and freezing fog made for lots of black ice. A few pics from my 42 mile drive home.

    image.jpg image.jpg
    Home sweet home
    image.jpg
     
  2. raybonz

    raybonz Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Likes Received:
    9,758
    Location:
    Carver, Mass.
    Good pics! I might have this problem on my 47 mile commute to Boston tomorrow AM! UGH!! Not looking forward to it!
     
    firecracker_77 and fox9988 like this.
  3. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    I want to see your dog! Glad you made it home.
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  4. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Love your home, very nice...and pic #2 looks scarey enough, makes for much longer rides home for sure.
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looks like a Jeep. Put any studs in the tires? :D
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  6. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    Home sweet home....Bet you were happy to get there....
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  7. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Cool pictures
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  8. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Pis 1 is actually much worse, black ice vs compacted snow. The concrete parking lot behind the station this morning just looked wet, it was so slick I could barely stay on my feet. The farther north I went, gaining elevation, the better it got.
     
  9. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Yeah, 94 Wrangler with 256,000 miles and no studs in the tires. One stud driving, depending on who you ask:D
     
  10. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Ray, I'm hoping the cold air keeps the ice south of the Ma. border.

    Fox, That did not look like fun at all.
     
    raybonz and fox9988 like this.
  11. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    image.jpg Jack Russel/Feist mix. I have one sign at the top of the drive and two at a convenient place to turn around, to scare the crackheads away. I've never had a problem, just thought it would be a good investment. Worked on the UPS driver, I had to talk him into getting out of his van.
    Edit: Notice the big dog house on the right side of the pic. Used to have a 110 lb Lab when I put the signs up. He was harmless/useless.
     
    milleo and concretegrazer like this.
  12. raybonz

    raybonz Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Likes Received:
    9,758
    Location:
    Carver, Mass.
    If the roads are real icy I will turn around and head home.. Hate to do that but not worth getting killed or destroying my car..
     
  13. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Snowy here but I think it's cold enough that the roads are staying snowy...Not that dangerous freezing after thawing that I love so much. Wife is bugging me about putting her sedan in the garage. Means I have to move the motorcycle that will probably never run again. :mad:
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  14. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Glad you made it safely...that is no fun at all !!

    Coming this way just in time for morning commute....real glad I no longer have the 1.5 hour drive to Salem NH that I use to have. In the ice storm of 97, took me 3 hours to get to work, I stayed for 2 hours and took 3 hours to get home :confused:
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  15. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Put another 40 miles on the Jeep today. Just got home. Its misting and freezing on ice. Going to get real bad.