In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone here in the used car biz? Where to find car values?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by bocefus78, Apr 21, 2015.

  1. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    My parents gave me moms old car to sell for them. Dealer trade was too low and they don't want to deal with the hassles of selling on CL or the like and the wackos that come with it. They don't want top dollar, but they also didn't want to give it away.

    My question is this. What sites give the most accurate values? I checked NADA and KBB and there is a 2K$ difference which is 33% on the low end! NADA doesn't even ask mileage but was the higher of the 2.

    Car is a 2005 Cadillac Deville
    leather, moonroof, ragtop, new tires
    107xxx miles
    1 owner lady driven, maintained well but does have a couple small oil leaks that the mechanic said wasn't worth fixing compared to the value of the car. No rust. Never seen salt. Its a summer only mobile.

    Thanks.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  2. Bret Hart

    Bret Hart

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,061
    Likes Received:
    3,817
    Location:
    Central NY
    wildwest likes this.
  3. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,287
    Likes Received:
    58,547
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH

    That's what I do also...Compare vehicles from Private sellers of same year condition and options and you should get a good idea of what a car is going for!!
     
    Horkn, will711 and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,664
    Likes Received:
    144,655
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I put my fathers pick up on ebay for him, worked well. High reserve to protect him and he ended up getting several hundred more than expected.
     
    Horkn and Stinny like this.
  5. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Like mentioned earlier, I typically do my own searches on cars for sale on CL, Ebay, Autotrader, etc, to get an idea of what they're worth. I feel like I remember NADA is a little closer to what I find than Blue Book.
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  6. Jon1270

    Jon1270

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    4,543
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's odd, it does on the NADA web page I found. Also, since it sounds like you've ruled out both trading-in and private sale values, which values are you looking for? NADA only gives trade-in and dealer retail figures; they don't mess with private party values at all so far as I know.

    FWIW, when I go car shopping I generally use Edmund's as my reference. KBB always seems inflated.
     
  7. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,664
    Likes Received:
    144,655
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I have not bought in many years, but even back then KBB seemed inflated to me too.
     
    splitoak and Horkn like this.
  8. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    That is the the one to use :thumbs:

    And have bought several used cars with edmunds pricing and saved $$$ off asking price KBB and NADA are dealer driven IMO
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  9. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    KBB is useless.
    Edmunds is better but not perfect.
    Check your local car auction for the real value in real time.
     
    Horkn, wildwest and will711 like this.
  10. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    Autotrader.
     
    wildwest and Horkn like this.
  11. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,178
    Likes Received:
    166,475
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin

    That's what I do. Your car is worth what others go for as far as comparable vehicles. When there's less of them out there, then the price only good up.
     
    eatonpcat and wildwest like this.
  12. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,745
    Likes Received:
    20,786
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    asking price and what they actually sell for are two different things. it is only worth what people are willing to pay. cars do not have the emotional desire they used to, they are transportation to this generation.
     
    wildwest and Stinny like this.