In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally got a bucket full!

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Certified106, Dec 3, 2013.

  1. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Well after a limited amount of time for bow hunting this year I finally started filling the freezer. I hunted all day yesterday and what I would say is the worst opening day of gun season in my life, 9 hours of hunting and only saw two deer. My dad hunted the same amount of time and saw 0 deer and our neighbor who is fanatic hunter hunted the property right next to ours and saw 0 deer. Only heard 5 shots all day and that is unheard of considering there is state land not a mile down the road from dad's property. Everyone around there said it was the weirdest opening day of gun season they have ever seen. The section of property I usually hunt it is normally not uncommon to see 20 plus does before 10am on Monday morning.

    Anyhow I decided to hunt my own place this morning and saw five yearling does, a spike buck, 4 point buck and 5 more mature does by 10 AM. I actually drew down on the 4 point but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a little buck and a few minutes later 3 large does came through so I dropped one with my TC Muzzleloader. Glad I had the tractor cause I could only lift onside of this at a time by myself.

    IMG_20131203_090944_857.jpg
     
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    Loon, NortheastAl, Boog and 6 others like this.
  2. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Good addition to the freezer :)
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  3. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    There's some good eating:)
     
  4. foragefarmer

    foragefarmer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,479
    Likes Received:
    4,567
    Location:
    Central, Virginia
    Congrats on the freezer filler. :thumbs:
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  5. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    That's a nice doe. even sweeter transporter
    Spent all afternoon in the woods and the only thing I saw was a hawk nearly get a squirrel - made a day in the woods worthwhile
     
    will711 and Certified106 like this.
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice Doe! I see room for 3 rounds in that bucket with her!
     
  7. StickBender

    StickBender

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    639
    Location:
    Ohio
    Makes it easy when they jump and die in the bucket!
     
  8. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Nice job cert!
     
  9. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    Yummy....:)
     
  10. Boog

    Boog

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    1,181
    Likes Received:
    2,600
    Location:
    Where my spirit is free
    I'll have to remember that bucket trick Certified ..................... I've been muscling mine up into my little tilt cart! :thumbs:
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  11. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Finally finished cutting and packaging it up. Ended up with one nice big roast, 23, lbs of burger, 15 packages of steaks (2 steaks per package), one whole backstrap for smoking, one back strap butterflyed for other stuff, and inner loin butterflyed. I wouldn't mind one more and that would get me through the year pretty easily. Can't wait to eat this sucker :drool:
     
    raybonz likes this.
  12. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    Nice meat for the freezer, Cert! The bucket is a cool transporter.

    Strange opening day for shotgun here too. Nothing heard that day, and only heard one shot so far. This is the quietest season I can remember. Almost makes me want to get out in the woods again. Lots of deer have to be carrying over for next season.
     
  13. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    Heart gets eaten the same day and the whats left over gets eaten for breakfast....Then rest is all steak or deerburg....Yum....:)
     
  14. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Went back out today and hunted all day. Heard shots everywhere but only saw two little does running through the woods at about 80 yards away. This has been one weird year for me as I'm just not seeing the deer like I used to and When I do see them the does seem like they are one to two years old tops. I hunted the rut this year with a bow and only saw one 6 point that wasn't a shooter. O well guess you will have those years. I will give it a shot tomorrow morning and see if anything is up and moving.
     
  15. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Nice deer for sure certified! Spent a couple hours lastnite across the road with the muzz but didnt see anything and will give it one last go later this afternoon..Good luck today and have fun eh :cool:
     
    Certified106 likes this.
  16. StickBender

    StickBender

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    639
    Location:
    Ohio
    It was straight up brutal this morning out there! The wind was just whipping and dang cold.....father in law said I was a puss cause I waited for him in the sawmill building. I had enough after 2 hours!
     
    milleo likes this.