Nice Dave. I'll wait for warmer weather. Somehow I just have never enjoyed biking in cool or cold weather. Same with wet weather. I would do it if into racing but I'm past that stage now. Then again, I'm not really sure I'll get much biking in this summer. Have to go through some nasty stuff and recovery might be a bit longer than wanted.
Yea, Would be great if you were abel to ride as part of the recovery. Never biked much aroud the neighborhood with the kids. Found out I like it. ( Never gonna race in the over 60 senior tour LOL ) There's some nice group rides here, no racing, just fun & ride at your pace. Great views & a good way to stay in reasonable shape. (no pounding & found it easy on the back) Thinking about doing the big one for the Matanuska/Susitna Valley 90 mile & goes up over Hatcher Pass: http://www.backcountrybikeandski.com/events/the-hatcher-pass-epic/ That time of year, lots of daylight, so I'd have lots of time to take breaks.
That is a nice F150!!! haha just kiddin dave, Great views for sure! Would definately make biking even more enjoyable.
If memory serves me, I think I got on my bike about 6 weeks after the last hip surgery. No speed demon for sure but still fun. That 90 miler sounds like it would be a fun ride. Not sure why but I've always enjoyed the longer rides the best. I do have to laugh though around here. When kids see me coming, they hide! I remember one time I saw 4 of them round a corner ahead of me. Then they saw me coming and thought they could lose me. The only way they lost me was they turned into a driveway just before I caught them. What the heck, they were only about 1/2 mile or so ahead of me when they pulled onto the road and went only another 3/4 mile. Another 100 yards and I'd have caught them or if I'd had my good bike, I'd have passed them for sure. I've had a couple see me go past a house then they try to catch the old man. So far, none has accomplished this feat. But I have made some friends with a few young folks in the area and they think my bikes are really neat. I may some day let a couple of them ride my bike but not if I have to do a lot of adjusting and not at the threat of a ruined bike. The first time riding these bikes can be very tricky.
There are different kinds of exercise. Can you have someone ride you up some of the roads in those mountains in the truck. And then have a long, slow coast of a bike ride down?
Had to buy some more appropriate clothing for Alaska cycling. Pants & some under armor & wick dry layers. (+ one extra layer in the bike bag, in case I get cold) Shirts are bright colors so I can be seen . 25 mi yesterday. Route link
Boy Dave, I hope that's not a little license plate for the bike. Gives the bears a target. Very cool pics.
Dave, some of those booties work really great too especially when it gets wet and cool. I also agree with bright colors. You might have to work up to speed though to outrun those bears.
Now that would be the end of that activity for me. I can't imagine having an Alaskan bear running after me. I confronted black bear many times, but they never show me any interest.