In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone have blue ash?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sherwood, Mar 31, 2015.

1. sherwood

sherwood

At a recent Woodlot Seminar we were informed that of all the Ash in North American, only the Blue Ash is not killed by the Emerald Ash Borer. There is apparently some Blue Ash in Southern Ontario, significantly to the west of us.

Anyone here have Blue Ash, or ever seen Blue Ash?

Ontario is expecting 100% kill of all the other Ash.

wildwest likes this.
  2. Wisconsin Woody

Wisconsin Woody

Sherwood - do you have a latin name to go with the common name? Fraxinus ?????

wildwest likes this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock

Well ! I fell on my ash ,and had a blue ash for a while :D

4. XXL

XXL

wildwest likes this.
  5. XXL

XXL

Nope, never heard of it but I sent this to my cousin who is a forestry tech just north of you and asked him if he has any info.

wildwest likes this.
  6. fox9988

fox9988

[​IMG]
    This map shows me in the edge of Blue Ash range but I've never heard of them around here.

wildwest and HDRock like this.
  7. JCMC

JCMC

What does it look like? Pic's?

wildwest likes this.
  8. Polvalt

Polvalt

Yeah HDRock, pics... Or it didn't happen!:jaw: :binoculars:

Canadian border VT and HDRock like this.
  9. HDRock

HDRock

Some things are better left unseen :startled::bug:

10. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

I've been burning a lot of blue ash this winter just because it was "next in line" in my stACKS It's so common here that there is a town, now a suburb of Cincinnati, named for it, Blue Ash, Ohio.

Blue ash bark is somewhat scaly rather than deeply furrowed like white or green ash so it is easy to identify. Please invite the folks that gave the woodlot seminar to come to Northern Kentucky and the Cincinnati area to see how the EAB has killed the blue ash as well as every other ash. The 4 I've cut on my land were all killed by EAB. Well, I didn't actually see the borer but the "D" holes in the trees and the "track marks" under the bark plus the woodpecker damage are classic signs of EAB

11. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

HDRock likes this.
  12. sherwood

sherwood

Thanks for that information, Ralphie Boy. I will forward it to the Forestry Service, definitely.

The seminar was given under the auspices of the Ministry of Natural Resources, by Trees Ontario (Gov't plan to plant 50,000,000 trees), Rideau Valley Conservation Authority's Reforestation Program, Land Stewardship Council, Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority, Sustainable Resources, and Leed-Greville Stewardship Council.

You'd think they would know about the susceptibility of the Blue Ash.

Sad to hear it....

Addendum: I've sent an e-mail to Trees Ontario. Hopefully, they'll follow up. Again, thanks for the information.
    If they are in fact incorrect (I don't doubt you, but it is, I guess, remotely possible that in this colder climate the Blue Ash is safe from the EAB, though I doubt that since the bug apparently originates in a cold climate in China. Ontario's research indicates that the extreme cold has no consequence for the EAB, unlike some studies I have read elsewhere that indicate large die-off at extreme low temps. I guess we should know for sure in this area after this winter whether there is any die-off. ), then they should not be making statements that will lead landowners with Blue Ash to treat that Ash differently than any other.

For other Ash stands, they are recommending cutting any damaged on unsatisfactory grade wood, harvesting mature good grade trees for commercial wood product use. In the areas that have subsequent increased light, or in areas like hedgerows, golf courses etc that already have adequate light, they recommending underplanting with other species, so there will be saplings ready to take over when the inevitable death by EAB comes to the Ash.

HDRock and Ralphie Boy like this.
  13. Oldman47

Oldman47

milleo and HDRock like this.