In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Insulating without opening walls

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Stihl Livin, Mar 25, 2015.

  1. Stihl Livin

    Stihl Livin

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2014
    Messages:
    433
    Likes Received:
    993
    Location:
    Minnesota
    So a few years ago we redid the exterior of our home due to hail damage and I neglected to insulate the walls knowing the house has no insulation in the exterior walls. I am planning on removing some siding to do the blow in insulation. I have heard this can be done. Does anyone have any experience in doing this?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  2. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    It can be done with cellulose or foam, I don't anything more about it. Backwoods Savage had his done with foam.
    Nice avatar.
     
    wildwest and papadave like this.
  3. Stihl Livin

    Stihl Livin

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2014
    Messages:
    433
    Likes Received:
    993
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Thanks fox. I'm trying to stay away from the foam as I don't want to spend the money on it as I have other priorities I need to address.
     
    fox9988 and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,644
    Likes Received:
    144,583
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I saw something on a home improvement tv show, they blew insulation into the walls from the attic between each of section of the studs.
     
    fox9988 likes this.
  5. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    fox9988 and wildwest like this.
  6. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Yeah, foam is good stuff but $$$. I considered it when I built but after pricing both, I went with cellulose. No complaints/regrets.
     
    Stihl Livin and wildwest like this.
  7. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    10 years ago there were only a couple spray foam guys around here and it was expensive !!!!! NOW with a dozen guys doing it they got the price whittled down to a little more than fiberglass.
    Yeah,,,,, I'll pay a little more for a tight seal and NO ITCHEY MONKEY BUSINESS !!!
    Check around you might be surprised how cheap it is.
    Here now ,,, it's 80-90 cents a sq. ft. for an inch.
    Knowing what I know now ,,,, I would spare no expense when it came to insulation.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  8. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I'm not sure what this means.
    One inch of foam sprayed on the exterior surface, then the remainder of the cavity is filled with fiberglass bat?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  9. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    That's on open walls - new construction. Closed cell.
    The inwall foam I believe is different. Minimal expansion. Open cell maybe.
     
    wildwest likes this.