Neighbor gave me his saw(has 2 huskys) it was in his shed that floated and partially submerged back in the spring flood. He brought it to a local mom&pop saw shop and it barely started when he picked it up back in the spring(I was with him). Well he ran it yesterday and said it took ~15pulls to start but ran it for a good bit and won't start this morning - so he gives up says take it. I can't recall if the saw was actually submerged in the shed or not but it's a clean piece with low hours. Held the rope and the saw slowly drops to my knees -not badly but as I glanced at his two gallon gas jug with one empty bottle of 2mix I assume it's toasted I'll do a diagnosis tomorrow and post some pics hope it's just spark or fuel issue
Um there is no compression if that thing drops down by the starter rope!! They also make 2 gallon premix bottles? I buy the 5 gallon bottles and mix them 2 gallons at the time. I think that saw needs a new top.Good news is that can buy a complete new OEM stihl motor on eBay or like $50!!
Saws will drop on the rope at different rates for different reasons. Doesn't mean the saw is shot, doesn't mean it's ok either. To the best of my knowledge, Stihl bottles pre-mix oil for 1, 2.5, and 5 gallon mixes. They also sell it in gallon and 5 gallon containers, amongst a couple other options. I think their base oil is available in a measuring bottle as well. Wonder if you can find a MS180 motor for it should it come to that?
I'll have to check I don't think my saws drip from the rope?? I see complete 170 motors all the time was thinking about them but u probably can find 180 as well.
should have clarified the 2gallon jug thing - I didn't ask him but plan on it today. It was a 2 gallon gas can and one 50:1 1 gallon mix bottle - so may have been 100:1 mix running in it. The fuel did look pretty dark green though.
Well that was easy. Pulled plug - good spark, blew my finger off the hole on a couple pulls. Pulled muffler and piston looks brand new, was a good bit of oil around the exhaust port. Pulled air filter and noticed a good bit of oil in the throttle body, couple shots of carb cleaner down hole, swirled and emptied. Fresh 50:1 in the tank, turned the L-D closed and 1 - 1/2 turns open, fired on the 3rd pull, turned it down about a 1/4 turn to get the idle slowed a bit - no hesitation on the throttle what so ever. Nice little light saber on a few dead pieces of pine laying over the edge of the driveway I'm guessing it's maybe made 40-50cuts it's entire life
Good for you, You should get many years of service from that saw. I gave my big saw to my son. He has taken good care of it and puts it to good use. ( that saw must as old as he is) I picked up a small saw to use around the place to keep things trimmed up. Now that has limited use.
Nice job on it. I use mine on small to medium stuff, but can eat the big stuff too. Enjoy it, good saw!
When I say "free" there was some labor donated free of charge back during the spring.... His place was a mess after the flood and I cleaned up a whole bunch of stuff for him, put in a paver patio(he bought materials) reset and leveled his shed where it shouldn't float away next time it floods.
Flooding is no good for wood stacks. Imagine if a flood took away all your wood. Ok, back on topic.......
Nice! I almost bought a 170 just cause there cheap but thought better of my self. Looking for a cheapo on CL.
HA! dont laugh, mine didn't float away, "to high" yea, even on the Jersey shore, But we did have a dam hurricane and blew all the top rows off, small stuff and kindeling all over the yard, I had one whole row fall over, I had S#!T everywhere....
He did lose a whole bunch of seasoned wood one wall 12'x6' tall and another one 10x5. The stuff had been stacked for atleast the 6yrs I've known him all under cover. We did find some of it tangled in the fence that got leveled down stream
On that saw you would change the whole engine. The engine is a "clamshell" type rather than a split case/bolt down cylinder type you're thinking of. The chassis should be the same as the 180 except for no spikes and the front mount tensioner screw. I see no reason a 180 motor wouldn't bolt in although I've never done it personally. However it's all a moot point as I see you have the saw running well.
If that's the case (with clamshell)about a total engine swap why do they sell cylinders for the 390? Or are u just talking about making a bigger saw, u would change whole motor.