I've loved this since the first time I had it as a teenager when visiting older brother in West Germany where he was stationed in the US Army.I'll usually make it at least a couple times yearly.Normally I use a beef chuck or arm roast,but beef is still quite high right now.Decided to use a small pork loin roast instead,flavor is great & cost was a lot less per pound. Very little difference between versions of goulash from Germany,Hungary,Austria,Czech Republic,Croatia etc.Some call for either potatoes,bread or flour dumplings,sometimes spaetzle noodles or other pasta is added instead.And sometimes its just beef/pork,tomato sauce,onions & paprika with no carrots or mushrooms.All are great however. Perfect meal for a cold winter evening.I usually have potato chunks or spaetzle noodles,but wanted something new for a change.A few chopped mushrooms,extra onion,& don't forget to use a good mild Hungarian paprika.Liquid is water,a little tomato sauce (tomato paste will work in a pinch,but you need to thin it down some). Extra sauce is not a problem,better to have plenty,it helps the flavor even more when warming up any leftovers in the next few days..... My first attempt at making dumplings too,had to get some advise from Mom on how not to screw it up..... The dumplings ended as mostly one large one on top (almost like the mashed potatoes on Shepard's Pie) but they break apart easily & the whole dish tasted amazing. Especially with a good beer (or three) to wash it down.