In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sticky log splitter valve

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 1, 2015.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Anyone ever rebuild a log splitter hydaulic valve?
    It's a Huskee 22 ton and the valve is sticking both ways.
    When it retracts it pulls in tight and stalls the engine. Also it is hard to trip the lever to get it to stop retracting.
    And now it started to stick going out :eek: and it will go out to the end and stall the engine.
    Other than that it works fine.
    Thanks for your help
    Tim

2. jackel440

jackel440

sounds like you may have a scored up valve.Have you changed the filter and fluid to make sure it is clean?You can pull the valve out and look for scoring or nicks on it.You can lightly polish it but you will want to be careful not to remove much material as it will allow leakage in the vlave bock.I would pull it out and look for knicks and any debri that might be in the housing.

3. FredRed

FredRed

When the piston moves is it jerky?

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

No. Works smooth. The lever will not release. It travels to the end and stall the engine

5. FredRed

FredRed

If the fluid is at a normal level, then I would pull apart the valve as jackel suggested and see if there is an obstruction or anything obvious.

6. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  7. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

it could have some moisture/rust in the system. A filter won't keep moisture/condensation out of the system. There is a spring and a detent ball that holds it in each position. The shaft slides on two seals. one of the seals could be gummed up, could be some corrosion on the shaft or the spring/ball might have become lodged. hard to saw without tearing it apart.

8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Thanks Fred,BG and Freak. I going to call a hydraulic supply tomorrow and see of its something they can fix or replace. I just dont know enough about these valves yet

9. NH_Wood

NH_Wood

Similar issue on my Huskee 22 ton - but not quite as bad. I can't let the piston fully retract because the valve will stick and stop the retraction. Valve handle is pretty sticky. I've been dealing with it since I know how it behaves and I just watch it closely, but a new valve is probably going to happen fairly soon. My main concern is when people ask to borrow it - I tell them about the problem, but I don't like the thought of others using it when it's not working quite right. Come to think of it, I have a hard time letting anyone borrow my wood processing tools, saws, etc. Well, maybe one of my wedges, or used file :D. Cheers!

10. prell 73

prell 73

I would put a new valve on just to be safe.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Going to bump this thread and let you know what happened.

Huskee 22 ton with Speeco valve. Sold at Tractor Supply.
    I removed the speeco valve.

I called the local hydraulic repair and they told me to figure on a repair of about 1 - 1.5 hours at $80/hour... If it can be fixed.
    They told me to drop it off and let them check it out first and they'd give me a call.
    A little higher than I expected but it's no good the way it is.

They called me back after a couple days and told me the detent ball and spring was bad and it wore into the shaft.
    They don't really have a supply of parts for this brand but they could get them if needed.
    He tells me it would be cheaper if I just buy the valve online and gave me a company and part numbers to get it. and price.
    Says they would just buy it, add their mark-up and resell it to me.

So I google the part # and find a few places online and one of them is Tractor Supply. $199.00. In stock at my location. :jaw:
    M and D mower $165.92 This is the place he gave me.

So I call TSC and sure enough they have it. no shipping and no waiting.
    I put it back together and it's working fine. Ran it for an hour or so till it ran out of gas splitting some stuff I gathered here from the power co.
    Of coarse there is a small twist. Went to restart it and shredded the pull cord:doh: :picard:

Well...I needed something to do tomorrow anyhow :whistle:

SolarandWood and cnice_37 like this.