In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Got a new widow maker

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Shawn Curry, Dec 30, 2014.

  1. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    This must have happened in the wind storm too but I didn't notice it until today. The top of a large black locust snapped off and hung up in the canopy over 40' off the ground.

    I have absolutely no way of dealing with this one. Doesn't look like its hanging on by much - gotta wait for the wind to shake it loose.

    It's way bigger than it looks in the pic. The branch has to be a good 8 inches at the base.

    image.jpg image.jpg
     
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    It looks as though it's in a safe area away from structures. Will be great stuff when it falls!:thumbs:
     
    Shawn Curry and Backwoods Savage like this.
  3. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    I would try to pull it down by rope. I hate leaving anything up in the air where I may be later and forget about it.
     
    Shawn Curry, Stinny and splitoak like this.
  4. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Looks like power lines in the pics. Is it close enough that they would bring it down to prevent issues later on?
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  5. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Good you know it's there, it will come down, sometime ?

    Grapple & pull it down?
    Grapple:ropes.JPG
     
    Shawn Curry, Stinny and mdavlee like this.
  6. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Have the same problem right now Shawn. It's hung up in between 2 large tree's and i did try to deal with it but called that off :whistle:will take the tractor down to push the right side down.:popcorn:

    [​IMG]
     
  7. Gary_602z

    Gary_602z

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,464
    Likes Received:
    12,340
    Location:
    Lake Odessa, Michigan
    Put it on Craigslist!:):)

    Gary
     
    haveissues, unclefess, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  8. Machria

    Machria

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,430
    Likes Received:
    5,003
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    Cut the power lines with your chainsaw first!
     
    Horkn, Deacon, crzybowhntr and 2 others like this.
  9. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I like that idea...FREE
     
    Driver and Shawn Curry like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    If that is in an area where you don't have to worry, I'd simply let Mother Nature take it down. You have the law of gravity in your favor.
     
    Horkn, Driver and Shawn Curry like this.
  11. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    That looks handy for these types of situations - I think I need one of those. This is 40' in the air though - you got one of those Batman-style hook launchers I could borrow? :rofl: :lol:

    No nearby structures to worry about - the closest thing is the road and those lines. But it's a good 15' in, and poses zero threat to them, so I doubt I'll get any help there. I picked up a come-along a few weeks ago, but I gotta get a rope up there for that to be any help.

    Things gotta weigh a 1/2 ton - like Dennis said, I got the law of gravity working for me. Hopefully it won't take long to shake loose. I *had* this area cleaned up pretty good.
     
  12. prell 73

    prell 73

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2014
    Messages:
    1,961
    Likes Received:
    3,725
    Location:
    ia
    doesn't look fun.
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We have some up top like that except smaller, I'm waiting for Mother Nature.