In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

All pellets are the same, aren't they?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by 343amc, Oct 4, 2013.

  1. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I found a place that sells pellets for $109/ton, and the bag says premium pellets. Will those burn as good as the Somersets I pay $219 a ton for? I am a bit concerned because I waved a metal detector over the bag and it started beeping at me. The stack of pellets smelled like a cat litter box too.

    This room looked lonely with no posts, so I figured I'd put something here to fill in the hole. I was inspired by the used motor oil post in the chainsaw forum.

    And no, as most of us know, not all pellets are the same.
     
  2. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Here's a pic of my stash .
    IMG_0950.jpg
     
  3. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    Here's a pic of my hastily stacked stash. It was hot out that day and I was getting worn out after the 3rd ton.
     

    Attached Files:

  4. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    That's why I only bring home 15 -20 bags at a time I don't want to get worn out, I need to save some energy for 12oz. curls;)
     
    IHATEPROPANE and Gasifier like this.
  5. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I hauled them back 25 at a time. Loaded them at the store, drove home 3 miles, unloaded, wash, rinse, repeat. Six round trips. The old S-10 can't handle more than a half ton at a shot, assuming that stopping and steering are still important anyways.
     
  6. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    I hear ya bud, I get mine on the way home from work . That's 60 bags in the pic I only got room for 15 - 20 more,so during the season when I burn down every 2 weeks I just reload.
     
  7. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    All pellets on the consumer market are premium! Makes em all da same, No?

    Sorry mez a newb ya know! o_O;)
     
    eatonpcat and 343amc like this.
  8. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    In the 16 years I burned pellets, I had always looked for the holy grail of pellets. Once, I got 5 or so bags of Hamer's that looked like nothing I'd ever seen. They were dark in color and burned with no clinkers in the pot after a full night's burn, and very little ash. Never got that close to the prize again. The most expensive I had tried were Okanagan, and they did not burn well for me. Some swear by them, but my old Whitfield did not like em. And my stove was when everything was softwood. I did better with hardwood pellets and I never went back. Never liked the cheese smell of the softwood ones.

    You have gotta try as many as you can and then stick to that brand that burns the best. Unfortunately, that doesn't guarantee fluctuation in the type of wood they make them out of. Hamer's has two plants and the pellets are different out of both. Have to read the labels.
     
    jtakeman likes this.
  9. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I admit that a couple years back I knew nothing. A pellet was a pellet, or so I was told at the box stores. I quickly learned that isn't the case. Yes, they are all cylindrical and made of wood, but that's where the similarities end.

    Learning that all pellets are not equal and studying Jay's reviews made the winter season much more enjoyable.
     
  10. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    I'll be stretching my legs out here in a little bit once it gets a bit colder. I got a few brands lined up to kick it off. Country boy against Turmans(a good ol head to head!). Revisit PTL's and maybe Instant heat. As always I'll keep my eye out for something new. I can't do what I used to do cus of the work load, But I'll get a few in. I wish I could take request's to see what you all are interested in. But even then I can't always find them.

    No guarantee with pellets, Specially when buying the cheap chit! Sure is fun trying to find the sleeper deal(good and cheap)! :D
     
  11. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    If I found metal in more than one bag, that brand would be banned from my selection. But I am also so cheap that at 109 a ton I would be tempted to sift them all and go over them with a magnet. That is if they burned fairly good in your stove.
     
  12. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    The kid at HD told me they were all the same though?? :)

    Somersets are still my favorite. With PTL (65 bags left from the 5 ton I got 3 yrs ago) being a good choice also
     
    343amc and jtakeman like this.
  13. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I usually have to put up with young workers at HD on weekends. During the week, they seem to be staffed with a lot of retired folks and those experienced in their field. I am betting this is when the contractors are shopping.
     
  14. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I bought a half ton of Woof Fibers Inc pellets at Home Depot three years ago. I did find some small screws in the burn pot after burning those.

    I stay away from those now.
     
    IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  15. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    wood fibers is Wisconsin's version of Infernos. they wouldn't even burn in the pdvc is used to have...
     
  16. IHATEPROPANE

    IHATEPROPANE

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,678
    Likes Received:
    19,110
     
  17. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    If you were to replace those 30 packs with pellets you'd have a bigger stash.

    Now Scotty WTH are you doing to your smilies? All kinds of busted image links.
     
    will711 likes this.
  18. BrowningBAR

    BrowningBAR

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    2,105
    Location:
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    What bike do you have in that picture?
     
  19. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    It's a 1976 Suzuki TS-185. Still runs good, but has taken more than its share of beatings over the years.