So the GF wants a tablet (I should get her a stone one because that's about what she knows about computers) I've been on an air card through AT&T for ~5yrs and its a 3G unit, could use to upgrade to a new device there. So my AT&T options(only because they are the only one with consistent service here): 1. Buy a new wifi hotspot device from them and share the data between my laptop and her tablet use 2. Figure a way to download some software and create a hotspot on my laptop(then I'd have to leave it connected all the time and don't like that idea) 3. Buy a used wifi device and figure what kind of hassle there is in getting it reactivated The problem I see with their mobile share plan is they want to hit you for every device connected to the hotspot. I plan to check out straightalks options as well Anyone else running a mobile wifi hotspot
No I'm in the woods, no cable/DSL, and I'd guess they have no intention of investing further in DSL since it started to be installed around here 6-7years ago. This or dial-up....and I ain't going back to those days It seems the ISP's are going all in on wireless Reading reviews on StraightTalk - they are out, throttling data past 2.5GB/month
I've got a wifi card with NTELOS but going to upgrade to 2 smart phones which have a built in hotspot so I can eliminate the card. You should be able to do similar with AT&T. I'll be able to eliminate 1 line that way 2 instead of 3.
Why not her own data plan and a 3g/4g enabled tablet? Then you don't have to worry about keeping a hotspot powered up and connected, since it's going to have to be cellular anyway. Also, you won't have to "discuss" who is using all the data each month.
That's adding a 4th device -we currently have standard flip phones(I know old school) but they work and are indestructible - I don't want the distraction of a smartphone in my life, and she neither. If I get a hotspot device and share the data we'd probably rarely exceed 5GB/month, I barely brake 2GB/mo as it is
No internet or cable out where we're at either so we got a mobile hotspot through Verizon for about 3 yrs now and it works great. We use it for the laptop and her tablet. In 3 yrs we've only gone over the 5gig twice I think. I used to have an air card and the hotspot works so much better.
I think the device connection fee goes down when you hit a certain threshold (10 gig) data plan, you'd be buying way more data than you need but it might be a wash in the end with the lower connection fees, then you won't ever have to worry about having the "who is using all the data discussion". Also I'm pretty sure the hotspot devices do not offer an ethernet port if that matters. We are in the same boat, no DSL or cable available. I switched from our satellite ISP to ATT cellular about a year ago when ATT service became strong enough at my house. I signed up for the ATT homebase device, it was "free" with a two year agreement, it fit best for our needs at the time. You connect your standard wired home phone to the homebase so your home phone is now cellular (unlimited), port the number and cancel the wired phone service and the homebase is a wireless router for the house also. I think it requires a 10 gig plan and the monthly connection fee for the homebase is more than a phone. I thought about buying a "beater" smartphone and using it as the home phone and house internet hotspot instead of the homebase device. I was told by the ATT salesman and "geek friends" that it probably wasn't a good idea because it may not support multiple devices very well and it would be a lot of wear and tear/heat on the phone.
I don't have one of those basod. But I need one for my camp. It is back in the woods with no phone line or cable. We use our smart phones back there with Verizon service. And we would like to have a mobile WiFi hotspot back there for using laptop and kindles for kids. Most time we are busy and don't need it, but for those times when the weather is not good outside or we are just tired/beat and want to relax it would be handy to have. Does anyone know how I can do that for not too much money? Is the easiest/best way to use my phone for a WiFi hotspot? Or should I buy a WiFi hotspot device? Which way is best. Which way is cheapest?
I have a smart phone that is very large. I use it as a phone and a tablet. Not much I can't do on it that I can on the tablet. I actually think I can do more on the smartphone.
Well I just went and bought both at Best Buy. Connected right now on the hotspot, seems a bit faster than the air card that was limited to 3G and rarely had full signal strength. The GF has a nice 10" Galaxy tab4 and to boot I got $100 off the tablet for getting the AT&T hotspot(same deal for Verizon right now as well)
basod, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back for the hotspot, and per month for service?
hotspot is 1$ with 2yr service 5GB $50/month and a $40 one time connection fee. The upside of them is the battery allows ~11-12hrs so you can take it in the car on trips