The first dead Elm was all junk except for two of the smaller rounds off the top so I dropped the second dead Elm in the opposite direction, the wood was much better. I brought it back so I could split it.
Nice looking wood! You gotta love that barkless, non punky stuff. Good BTU's there too... The only elm I have had has been slippery (red) elm and it was great stuff. Rot resistant and barkless...
This is my first year burning Elm, I was very happy with it. I have more to split from another load then I'll stack it so we can use it next year.
Yes, I took about 4 swings with a maul, I said screw that I'll hit it with the 20 ton. The last two dead Elm I dropped split like butter with the maul, I gave the first load to our neighbor and we kept the other load.
Sugar Maple, Beech and American Hophornbeam (Ironwood). We do have some Red & White Oak that came from my only scrounge from 2010 that should be ready.
The 20 ton split it real easy Rotti. I'm liking it more and more Loon. NYCountry, I think if it was brought inside, it wOOd be ready in two weeks but we'll keep it for next fall after we burn through our shoulder season wood.
I almost brought it inside but we had already put wood in so it's sitting on top of a pile of splits.
Im hoping the ash below will be the same. I need to get a smaller strap and hook up the new winch to pull it up. It stood dead/leafless for at least the last 8 yrs and its branches that always fell caught fire immediately in the pit. Who knows, maybe I'll use it at the end of this season. Depending on the weather, I will yank it up this weekend to css!
Almost dropped a good sized dead stander of elm like that yesterday but had another live one that was hanging out over the corn field I decided on instead.
Nice work woodlands. It is always good when you can use that kind of wood to keep you and yours cozy.