Cut a nice load of elm and a little cherry to round it out. All piled and ready for the splitter. Then a little of Beetlekill's favorite, Aspen rounds
Don't usually mess with aspen to often but a friend had one blow over so I cut it up to get it out of his way. It's amazing how heavy those rounds are now but once it's dry it's really light.
That's a good days work in anyone's book ! Busy , fun , rewarding, good weather day. When does it get split ?
I'm pretty sure some of what I cut is big tooth Aspen, and yep, it's heavy then lightweight. Burns decent.
I swear aspen & cottonwood, green weight is over 1/2 water. After handling birch, it feels like balsa wood when dry.
I like the aspen ok and it seems to burn ok in the stove, cottonwood.....nah !!!!! I know you can burn it but I just don't waste my time.
Not sure when I will split it, I'm trying to stay after it so I don't get in the situation I had last year. Way to much to split in the spring and summer snuck up on me.