In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anybody running hi/lo yet?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by jtakeman, Nov 12, 2013.

  1. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    First night for me, Temps are in the low 20's tonight(Brrr!). So far the MWP's have done pretty well. But I figured I'd give em a little help JIC. It took a bit longer than normal to get the temp back to 72°F after my usual daytime set back(66°).

    Prolly go back to auto/off tomorrow as its supposed to warm to mid 40's and upper 30's for the low.
     
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    I generally run hi/lo, but start the season using the on/off button (you know on first thing in the morning and off for most of the day).
     
  3. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Yep. Used a few times. Woke up pretty hot a few nights also!!


    I now have my "pilot" set pretty low, but will prob increase it with the trims when it gets Super cold. The Fahrenheit is running now. Level 1 in manual. About 72* degrees throughout. :) Happy Camper
     
  4. imacman

    imacman

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2013
    Messages:
    6,633
    Likes Received:
    27,528
    Location:
    Denver, NC
    Not yet....it's pretty cold here tonight (26 right now), so I thought about it, but will just probably leave the stat set high enough for the stove to keep running on low.
     
  5. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    What's Hi/Lo?
     
    will711 and gbreda like this.
  6. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    One of two t-stat modes in hi/lo the fire goes to a maintain fire level when the t-stat setting is hit instead of turning the stove off.
     
  7. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    On our Harmans its more like Manual/Auto when in room temp mode.

    And yes, I ran stove temp/auto (maintain steady stove temp on a Harman-used primarily when it gets colder) all night for the first time last night instead of shutting down at bedtime.
     
  8. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    To add a bit some stoves allow you to trim your low or maintain fire setting, the hi setting is the one you select using the controller keypad, when the t-stat calls for heat the fire is ramped up to the level you selected using the keypad.

    The controller I have allows three different levels for maintain fire.
     
  9. subsailor

    subsailor

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,693
    Likes Received:
    14,973
    Location:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Hey, I was just being a smart azz, as us Harman owners can sometimes be.
     
    slvrblkk likes this.
  10. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Yeah, figured that but newbs out there might not know the differences.....do we have any real newbs on FWH yet?
     
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  11. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    Must be good, must not upset the mods.
     
    DexterDay and slvrblkk like this.
  12. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Better? Changed one word, but I really dont think any fouls were committed.
     
  13. SmokeyTheBear

    SmokeyTheBear

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    8,324
    Likes Received:
    39,419
    Location:
    Standish, ME
    I was referring to the comeback I had mentally prepared for subsailor.
     
    gbreda likes this.
  14. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Ahhhhh, I understand now. Dang it Bear, thats twice today :confused:
     
  15. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    I have five feed trims levels and also the damper to tweak air. I have only found one crap pellet(Inferno) that would go out on the factory default setting. Corn and other fuels also need a tweak of air or feed trim to get a nice low maintenance burn.

    Surprisingly for a dumb stove its actually pretty smart and pretty well balanced right out of the box. But it is very handy to have something to tinker or tweak when you adventure off the norm(mixing different fuels and such).
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  16. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    My stove has several adjustments for Pilot and just general burning. Because it has 2 blowers/motors for combustion (one before the pot - combustion blower and exhaust blower like every other stove has).

    It only runs the exhaust blower in Pilot mode and both blowers run when it calls for Heat.

    Here are a few pics.

    You click on the "Fire" just to the left of ENERZONE. That brings you to the heat level adjustment.

    20131113_200721.jpg

    From there, you can choose Pilot, or Fuel Quality. Fuel Quality and Pilot, is used to adjust fuel trim and blower trims. They can be adjusted up or down 5%

    20131113_200729.jpg

    In Pilot, only the exhaust blower is adjusted.

    20131113_200737.jpg

    In Fuel Quality, both blower motors can be adjusted, along with fuel feed. Again, 5% in either direction.

    20131113_200802.jpg

    And finally, to make sure it goes to "Low" you must select the Hourglass from the very 1st pic. Then select "Always On". Otherwise, you can select a Pilot time, and if the stove doesn't call for Heat within that time frame? It shuts down. If it calls for Heat in that time frame? It goes into "High" and then the Pilot time is reset when it goes to "Low".

    20131113_200834.jpg

    There are many other troubleshooting pages and stats that it keeps also. Pretty smart. :) No Harman, but it's got more features! !

    20131113_200942.jpg
    20131113_200948.jpg



    Clear as Mud.. Right :)
     
    don2222, JRSDWS, jtakeman and 2 others like this.
  17. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    Must be a sober stuper mate! o_O

    Ya need a brew? :drunk:
     
    DexterDay and gbreda like this.
  18. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Dex, is that all done from the touch panel only or can you hook it up to a PC?

    Very cool...I could get into all kinds of trouble playing with settings
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  19. dylskee

    dylskee

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    497
    Likes Received:
    1,870
    Location:
    Central MA
    Newb here...... :popcorn: I set my stove to "Stove Temp" last night and set the feed to 2.5. I was eating too many pellets using room temp. I filled the hopper about 10:00 PM last night and I put about a half a bag in about 6:00 tonight.

    Dex, that's one helluva setup you have there, love the high-tech screen!!
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  20. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH

    Same here using too many pellets in room temp last night. Set it to stove temp/auto with heat level around 2.5 and she used very little overnight and kept the place just warm enough for the morning.

    BTW, best bet is to leave the feed rate around 3-4. The only time I change is is if I am changing pellet brands that causes burn issues. For the most part set it and forget it. But in my first year, I was paying with it all the time too...
     
    will711 and DexterDay like this.