In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trail Work 2014

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Apr 18, 2014.

  1. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I was gonna' like this....until the last sentence.:hair::rofl: :lol:
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Besides for a couple sweatshirts and ammo at cabelas, I was stuck in yuppie stores. :(
     
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Well then, I made a gooder choice.:thumbs: Mostly.
     
    thewoodlands and Well Seasoned like this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Three more loads this afternoon (two pictured) it's starting to level off that area, another two loads of leaves should do the trick.

    In pic 0272, I'll be clearing from 1 to 2, there's another small hole with a nice mound of dirt, shovel time!

    This whole ravine will get cleaned out so we have room for the truck if we need it down there, the other end will get cleared next spring.
     

    Attached Files:

    Well Seasoned and HDRock like this.
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    In pic 270, what is to the right of the 4x4, a ledge? That will be a great trail with the sleds...... good views!
     
  6. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Getting the "Attaboys vs. not getting the Aw Chits" is well worth the time investment. Trust me..............
     
    thewoodlands and Well Seasoned like this.
  7. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work woodlands! Those trails look good. Plenty of leaves in the woods to work with! I wish I had a week or two of vacation to do some trail work myself. I'll have to see about doing a little work here and there on the trail after I get my wood put away during this week.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The last load of leaves went on this area this afternoon, after I did that the mound of dirt on the other side was used to fill another hole.

    Pic 0274 was the start, 0276 is the after pic, I still have some small Cherry branches to take care of.

    Pic 0278 & 79 is some trail work for next year, it's another existing trail that runs the base of the hill, some old Hemlock stumps in there.
     

    Attached Files:

    Well Seasoned, rottiman and HDRock like this.
  9. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Good job, looks like its coming along good. Hope the weather stays favorable for you, rain/snow showers here saturday. I have alot of spitting to do.
     
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I call this trail finished after another full days work on it. I don't think we'll get much from this storm so I still have more time for some trail clearing or stump removal.

    I also have a chit load of stacking left, I'll get an area ready so the boss can do some so I can continue the trail work.

    The last report I saw had northern New England possibly getting six inches of snow.
     
    HDRock and Well Seasoned like this.
  11. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work there woodlands. Your trails are going to be a great improvement for your access to your property.

    I am taking some time off late tomorrow afternoon and on Thursday to move some more wood in under the porch. Hopefully will get the most of it in before the wet stuff flies.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    You'll get it done. I was just getting the second hole filled today from the pile of dirt that someone made when I heard what I thought was loud thunder, it turned out to be a plane from Fort Drum kicking in the afterburners,just glad it was ours.
     
    HDRock, Gasifier and Well Seasoned like this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I did this the other night, I'm not sure how much more time I'll spend on this but it's deemed sled worthy.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, HDRock and Well Seasoned like this.
  14. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I removed four stumps from this trail tonight, the first and the third stump were rock solid. I thought that I would try the mattock on them, when I hit the first and the third stumps it made a noise like I hit a rock.

    The pictures are before and after in the same order.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, HDRock and Well Seasoned like this.
  15. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Nice work, but what is a mattock?

    Glad the trail is sled worthy!
     
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    [​IMG]
     
  17. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    WoW, nice mattock! Ok then..........:coffee:
     
  18. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Heck of a job there woody
    I will looking forward to some pics of the snow machines zoomin through there :D
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  19. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work woodlands! I'll bet you can hear those motors on the sleds purring already. I use to ride with some friends of mine when I was lucky to get there. They had about five sleds. It was fun. Most of the time we rode slow. See more that way. And sometimes you really had to be careful so you did not smuck a deer!
     
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    thewoodlands likes this.
  20. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This was work from Friday, I dug up the septic so we could have it pumped, filled that back in after everything was done.

    After that I did some stump removal on some trails around the house.
     

    Attached Files:

    Well Seasoned and HDRock like this.