In picture number 0223 you can see that the part of the pipe with number 1 on it is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch higher than last year which makes the pipe after the elbow angle down, when I leave the door open when starting a fire to get it going you will get some smoke from where it hooks into the wall thimble, would that cause this? If I close the door when starting a fire you won't get smoke. I will be dropping that section down the first thing in the morning.
The stove is in the basement, correct? Single wall pipe there? I can clearly see the difference in color where it has risen up causing the angle to the thimble. Id be curious too whats going on at the thimble. Seeing 1/2"- 3/4"difference on the pipe w/ #1 on it could cause the same crooked gap at the thimble connection creating an unusual air pressure in there, add not cold but cool temps outside may be adding to the subpar draft along with the bends in the pipe. Anything hit your chimney this summer or any noticeable settling in the house at all? These are only guesses here...... You did some work on the stove not long ago if I remember correctly. Maybe unknowingly bumped it or have you swept at all? Im terrible at explaining things, so hopefully you can understand what im talking about. Keep me posted. Ill be spending the majority of my sunday outside cleaning up this mess. Good thing the eagles have a bi-week..
After I cleaned it I put it together with the one section being to high, I found this on the Sweeps site so I think that is the problem, I'll take the screws out tomorrow morning and drop that one section. From Chimneysweeponline.com When a horizontal length must be used, install it with a slight upward tilt towards the chimney thimble (at least 1/4" rise per foot of run).
Keep that chain out of the dirt. I sharpened all the chains I used last week when I was clearing trail and clearing stumps, they were dirty.
Yeah, the elbow should be lower than the thimble by 1/4" per foot. Did the screws not grab the elbow, maybe?
I dropped it to what I thought was the old position, it will still smoke some out the same spot if you leave the door cracked but it's much better. I'll drop it even more this afternoon.
Sounds good Zap! Hopefully the cooler temps will create better draft. Alittle strange it didnt do this last year for you. My pipe is straight up and out, but even then, some smoke will roll out on occasion.
I had called the Chimney sweep on Sunday, he was in this area today so he cleaned the top, things rrrrrrrrrrrr GOODER!
I have a feeling when it's -20 this winter, it might suck a Beech split up through it's drafting so good.
Glad it was an easy fix! I won't use the caps on top of my chimney that have a screen just because they do plug easily. I go with a cap that has metal bands around the opening and feel they are much less restrictive draft wise.
Yeah, some of those damm screened chimney caps can be a pain. Its pretty much the only place I get build up. I might just remove mine when I start burning 24/7 and put it back on in Spring to keep critters out.