In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Jotul

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jiminri, Oct 21, 2014.

  1. jiminri

    jiminri

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    8
    Hello all Soooo... I recently purchased a jotul f600 to replace my Oslo that I've enjoyed for the past 3 years. Received a $1000 voucher for trading in an old Russo stove so I went for it. Placed the new stove exactly where the Oslo was using same chimney/liner setup. The f600 is much harder to get a fire going. Oslo started every time with super cedar and some kindling. F600 will NOT start drafting unless I leave the side door cracked open. I suspect this is normal given the increased size and the restrictor plate jotul puts over the air intake on the 600. Just curious how other f600 owners start their stoves. Thanks in advance and congrats Scotty on a pretty cool site!
     
    burndatwood, milleo, fox9988 and 4 others like this.
  2. NYCountry

    NYCountry

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2014
    Messages:
    2,687
    Likes Received:
    11,979
    Location:
    Mohegan Lake NY
    I have the f55 and I leave the door open until I see it roaring then I close it. It works like a charm after I lower the draft. Burns for about 8-10 hours when its full. Enjoy it and let me know how it goes...
     
  3. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I run an f50 and it fires right up with the door shut no problem. Here first Welcome to FHC good to see ya!

    1st how dry is your wood in percentages? 20% or less moister.
    2nd are you positive you have enough chimney height? Going from a f500 to an f600 could easily require more draft.
     
  4. jiminri

    jiminri

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    8
    Thanks for the replies. The wood will be 3 years this winter and percentages are below 20. Chimney height is a full 2 stories...not sure footage. This is only when starting, once caught the Draft is excellent. It's just getting there that is so much more difficult than the f500, not a big deal just never had to keep a door open on start up before
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  5. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    It is possibly a learning curve. I Just picked up a F 400 and was previously running a F3. It is a much different stove. The F3 had the start-up lever on the bottom of the door and it started very quickly. The Castine is a little different and there are many comments on the net about having a harder time drafting. I can't offer much on tips for the 600, but hopefully someone here may have an answer for you.

    Yes, there are different restrictor plates. I believe the European ones let more air in.

    Welcome to FHC.
     
  6. fox9988

    fox9988

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,710
    Likes Received:
    8,287
    Location:
    NW Arkansas 72717
    Welcome to the FHC.
    Don't forget and leave the door open :binoculars:
     
    milleo likes this.