In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

TPO vs. EDPM

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Chvymn99, Oct 15, 2014.

  1. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    I've been contacting and searching for some EDPM around here. Even went as far as talking to the road sign company about the PVC for Billboards. But I guess they recycle them now. I finally found a contact I can get some TPO from, cheaper than the EDPM. From my understanding it's stiffer and less workable but still durable over the long term.

    Any experience with this stuff? One way or another.

    Thank you.
     
  2. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    EPDM I have been searching for but the "used" ones I see are nearly the same price as new.

    What's TPO?
     
  3. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) single-ply roofing membranes are among the fastest growing commercial roofing products and have gained broad industry acceptance for their many performance and installation advantages. As demand increases for heat-reflective and energy efficient roofing systems, TPO single-ply roofing membranes continue to provide exceptional resistance to ultraviolet, ozone and chemical exposure.
     
    cnice_37 likes this.
  4. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Basically it's used in the field as EDPM is. Yes, new and used is about the same price. But I can get TPO for 1/2 the price.