In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood ID Please

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by bassJAM, Oct 14, 2014.

  1. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    So I picked up this wood from a guy down the street back in the summer, he had already removed the limbs so I couldn't identify it from the leaves. But I was told it was Silver maple, and by the way the trunk had split and fallen I had no reason to think otherwise. But I've heard others say silver maple is easy to split, but this stuff is a bear! My Fiskars wouldn't touch any of it, and even the hydraulic splitter rips it apart more than splitting it. So any ideas? I'm pretty sure it's still maple, I just don't know which type.

    IMG_0504.JPG IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0507.JPG photo.JPG
     
  2. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Well it's silver or red, but it's almost impossible to tell the difference from just the wood and bark. Some younger branches *might* be able to tell the tale. Red seems to get what I call a "shattered glass" effect to it, when the bark is just beginning to develop the furrows. It almost looks like someone through a baseball through it at the branch intersections. Silver stays smoother. Guess I would lean silver, because the red I've worked with, appeared redder.

    Those yardbird maples can be very difficult to split. I see a lot of "twisty" grain there.
     
    Drvn4wood likes this.
  3. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    That's silver maple
     
    Drvn4wood and Scotty Overkill like this.
  4. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,332
    Location:
    Central PA
    Yep.....silver maple. Bark gives it away, silver is flair than red maple (at least in my experiences).
     
    Drvn4wood likes this.
  5. Razo

    Razo

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    294
    Likes Received:
    643
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    Silver maple, I split a yard tree up that I couldn't even touch with the fiskars, hunkered the 27 ton down.
     
  6. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks guys. I should have stuck with my gut, but a buddy of mine (who I've never seen ID a tree wrong) told me I had red maple and I started second guessing what I had. Looks like he's been wrong at least once!
     
  7. bigbarf48

    bigbarf48

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    Messages:
    2,344
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    Location:
    Stone Mountain, GA
    I got a load of silver from my tree guy, and the trunk was tough to split with my axe. Smaller rounds and branches were easy, but the bottom portions of the trunk had to be noodled into submission
     
  8. Woody Stover

    Woody Stover

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,261
    Likes Received:
    3,046
    Location:
    Southern IN
    I'd also say Silver but you never know with these yard-tree hybrids. I've got three Maples in a row, first one is a Sugar. The next one looks almost identical, bark and leaves, but drops helicopter in the spring instead of fall. :confused:
     
  9. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    Get it split and stacked....You got some firewood and that's a good thing...:)
     
    bassJAM likes this.
  10. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Working on it here and there, but that's my wood for 2016/17 so I've got some time.
     
    milleo likes this.