In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Converting to a gas Home stove/range

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by WeldrDave, Oct 11, 2014.

  1. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Hey gang,

    may I get your opinions on a few items of this topic, it will be new to me:confused:...
    My house is "all" electric :eek::eek::eek:.$$$ with that said, I obviously heat my house with wood:D:cool::drunk:.... This past summer the gas company ran a line down the road for some folks and a good mechanical engineer friend of mine will do any hook ups for me at my house "free" he has his own business. ;)

    Now, we are looking to rip out the kitchen next spring/summer and go to a gas range, I/we have never owned one but have cooked on the one at church many times and love it.
    Here's the question:confused:.. (a) should I buy a home type model, hot point, GE, etc... (B) a small commercial model such as a Garland or a Vulcan.. I priced out some of the commercial units and they are not much more than a home unit and seem to be far superior in quality.
    Can I get your thoughts and experiences please?

    Thanks,
    Dave
     
    wildwest and Stinny like this.
  2. jetjr

    jetjr

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    3,233
    Likes Received:
    8,953
    Location:
    Pa/Md line
    I miss my gas stove for sure. I always had a homeowner model but could see the advantages of a commercial model especially if in your price range.
     
  3. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    If the commercial unit has all of the best gas monitoring safety devices... that'd be the way I'd go.
     
    WeldrDave likes this.
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    We have an older gas stove (back when stuff was made good) and I have used the vulkan model back when I was in restaurant management/chef........ if its a few bucks more- go commercial. The commercial stuff is super beefed up, resistant to the heavy use of running non stop 7 days a week. If the price is right, I think its a no brainer. Good luck brotha!
     
    WeldrDave likes this.
  5. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    I found a Vulcan V36 commercial for about $1700 delivered to the door. The wife and I like the fact they have legs and we can clean under them,
    The big box stores have the house models anywhere from $449 to $3500:eek:... I'm leaning hard towards the commerical models.
    I/we don't need a clock or self cleaning or any other gizmo's, I like simple:)
     
    Well Seasoned, jetjr and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,660
    Likes Received:
    144,645
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    We just paid way too much for a double oven and separate cooktop. I would gladly have taken a commercial range instead! But I am not the main chef anymore...It was up to the one cooks and keeps us fed :)
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  7. Highbeam

    Highbeam

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2014
    Messages:
    1,985
    Likes Received:
    6,463
    Location:
    Cascade Foothills, wet side of WA
    Still 30" wide? So it fits?
     
  8. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,745
    Likes Received:
    20,785
    Location:
    Mid Ohio


    sounds like they are doing a complete remodel, should be able to fit in a 36". we went commercial 36" on the new build. gas range, electric ovens.
     
    Well Seasoned, wildwest and WeldrDave like this.
  9. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    It does'nt matter, I'll make it fit, regardless of the size.
     
  10. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,660
    Likes Received:
    144,645
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    (smiley clapping and applauding)
     
    will711 and WeldrDave like this.
  11. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,287
    Likes Received:
    58,547
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Electric Oven and gas cooktop was the way my wife wanted it!!
     
    wildwest and will711 like this.
  12. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,745
    Likes Received:
    20,785
    Location:
    Mid Ohio


    electric ovens dry out the food less and gas cooktop has more control.
     
    eatonpcat likes this.
  13. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    And she got what she wanted cuz you are a smart guy :D
     
    WeldrDave and eatonpcat like this.
  14. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I would jump at the chance to be connected to NG. If you are buying your firewood, a gas Heater might be competitive.
    You can get a simple direct vent unit that will heat comfortably. That will allow you to travel without using the electric.
    The gas line went right past the end of my street but they won't connect us. It is a line that goes to substations. Lines out from there can connect.
    Gas cooking is so much better. I woul go with the one that has the good reputation with good support. 36 in is way better for odd shaped pans. We have electric glass top (white). Very hard to keep clean. We also have the double ovens and many features. Never have used the second oven or the special features.
     
    WeldrDave likes this.
  15. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Yea, were mostlikly going with a 36" Vulcan the way it looks and price is right! I have never bought fire wood:eek:, always got my own:axe: and I haven't turned the electric heat on in this house 30+ years, I have the breakers off:whistle:…. The old Grandma can keep it a constant 85* all winter long if I choose :dennis:.
     
    wildwest, savemoney and will711 like this.
  16. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    I have all but the one in our bedroom / her office off which is above the unheated garage . :)
     
    wildwest likes this.
  17. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    My home was built as an electric heat home. That lasted one winter, then off it went. For the next 15 years, we used our alnighter woodstove. Then I had a hot air furnace installed. Since 2008, I've been burning pellets. Nothing stays the same. Who knows what is next. I have a cousin who went geothermal and loves it.
    He has a good size home, about 3 years old.
     
    wildwest, will711 and WeldrDave like this.
  18. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,136
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    As long as trees still grow, My home will be nothing but:fire:. My buddy built his home also with geothermal and you never wanted to hear a man cuss so much when his pump or electric quits:rofl: :lol:… All I need is a match:p
     
    wildwest and milleo like this.
  19. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Mine too ,but I had the builder put in a chimney for the wood burner in the basement , and a propane company run the line for the gas range . Then after several years of trying to heat from the basement put the pellet burner upstairs sooo much better:thumbs: my Honey loves the pellet stove :D it's all good:cool:
     
    eatonpcat and wildwest like this.
  20. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,515
    Likes Received:
    95,537
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I have had propane stoves as we don't have natural gas here. I love cooking on propane especially when canning and I assume natural gas would even be better. Best part of boating and camping is I get a propane stove to cook on.
     
    wildwest, milleo, WeldrDave and 2 others like this.