Yes, we know about grinding, I’ve rented a stump grinder a time or 3. The next issue, stumps don’t really bother me, especially in the outer areas. Of course, common protocol is to cut them low, but not in the dirt. I’m trying a method that’s kinda new to me. That method is to hasten decay. Basically one keeps the stump wet, adds high nitrogen fertilizer, then covers it. Holes or a cavity cut down to trap moisture. This is supposed to speed up fungal growth, decay. I think it’s more of a warm weather technique, but I thought I’d try some before cold weather sets in. Over the years, the ‘epson salt’ method is about useless. I never feel like cutting the roots down in the dirt & mud. I know some type of wood rots quicker than others. Has anyone tried covering the stump? Other methods?
I usually just cut them flush enough to mow over and use the nose of the bar to cut in a cross-hatch pattern so it holds water to help speed up decay...after a few years they usually soften up and I can work on them with the tractor bucket to get them below the dirt. Whatever you do, don't try to burn it. Charcoal doesn't rot.
A few years ago when I had a new septic system put in, I had to clear a bit of my woods. I left the stumps high, maybe 2 feet, and their excavator had no trouble grabbing on pulling them out. I know, it is cheating
Our great grandfathers just went down to the hardware store and got some dynamite. So jealous of the freedom they enjoyed.
You don't have to go back that far. I remember on the farm using dynamite to blow stumps. Some of the neighbor ladies didn't like it because the big boom was so loud. I don't remember when they quit selling the good stuff but we always had some fun, usually in the spring.
If explosives were not available, this was another method where you only needed a draft team, some fittings and a long beam. I always try to understand that virtually ALL the pasture that I see around here was MADE. My area would have been almost completely covered with forest long ago. Not mentioning the work of felling and moving all the logs, then they had to deal with the stumps with no machinery to help. Millions and millions of stumps were dealt with one way or another to create farmable acreage. Amazing. We all stand on the shoulders of Giants. I'm sure there were many methods employed. They had animals, hand tools, ropes, fixtures and fire to work with.
A method that I've thought of trying is to cut a low spot in the stump with the chainsaw...basically just cut like you are trying to take it down to ground level, but then keep the nose of the bar lower, so as to make a bowl...it should hold water and rot quickly, I'd think...
jo191145 cut a pyramid out of a TOH stump last year when we were cutting at his place. That was 13 months ago. Mebbe he can give us an update.
Some of those methods are interesting and very labor intensive. Not being lazy, but I’m trying to keep the labor level down. Small stumps I can usually cut low enough to mow over, harder with larger stumps.
Not much has changed. My idea was to get rid of some excess Epsom salts kicking around the house. Maybe it would follow the root system back and kill off the suckers. Never applied the salt. Internet seems to think it was a dumb idea