In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Saw recommendations

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Nitrodave, Oct 6, 2026 at 11:20 AM.

  1. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,646
    Likes Received:
    33,436
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    What is this word "justifying" you speak of????
     
  2. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,883
    Likes Received:
    121,703
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I agree with the praise of the 51/55.
    If looking for a new saw, I’d say go to Tractor Supply and look at a Husky 545. Full metal case saw so along the line of the 51/55 & not a pro saw so it’s cheaper.
     
  3. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,092
    Likes Received:
    7,501
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    Very thoughtful offer! I just have zero luck with a lot of used stuff anymore.
     
  4. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,092
    Likes Received:
    7,501
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    Well , I hope I made a decent decision… I couldn’t stomach the price of the MS261…. But the MS251 ended up following me home today. It was on sale.. :D
     
  5. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,591
    Likes Received:
    68,100
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    If you were cutting several cords a year all on a Poulan Wild Thing... you just upgraded big time :)
     
  6. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,825
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Hope it works well for you. I was going to suggest the Echo 501P, since the 4910's have been discontinued. Ours ported by Kevin pulls a 20" bar with 8 pin sprocket.
    Good luck and happy sawing, my friend
     
  7. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,092
    Likes Received:
    7,501
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    It really was an impressive saw. Got my money worth! Lol
     
  8. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,092
    Likes Received:
    7,501
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    I was looking at them… it was a weight thing
     
  9. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,928
    Location:
    Over here
    Was gonna mention those little rippers. Makita 4300 is also a little beast, I'm led to believe.
     
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Stihl MS291 for a decent firewood saw. I owned the 290 which evolved into the 291. Underpowered at 56cc IMO but was my sole firewood saw for many years. Always started and reliable.

    Eric Wanderweg might be willing to part with his Wild Thing of the price is right!!! :D

    EDIT: just read the rest of the thread. Great firewood saw the 251. May it serve you well.
     
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2026 at 9:38 AM
    eatonpcat, T.Jeff Veal and RCBS like this.
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    What is the real market price for that saw?
     
    eatonpcat, T.Jeff Veal and RCBS like this.
  12. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,591
    Likes Received:
    68,100
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    It’s for sale as a project on eBay right now… $50 :whistle:
     
  13. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,591
    Likes Received:
    68,100
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I see them in very good shape for $300-350. Sometimes more. It’s not like an OMG I have to have it 346XP type of saw, but they are well liked.
     
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    You should grab it and flip it?
     
    eatonpcat and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  15. Saw addicted farmer

    Saw addicted farmer

    Joined:
    Tuesday
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    84
    Location:
    Illinois
    Standard carb or mtronic? A muffler mod wakes those up big time.
     
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Standard as the only mtronics are the pro level saws. The "C" designation on those is for the convenience package...easy pull start, tool less chain adjuster etc.
     
  17. Saw addicted farmer

    Saw addicted farmer

    Joined:
    Tuesday
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    84
    Location:
    Illinois
    What the heck? So does the c on a pro saw just mean convenience and that's the auto tune on the big ones?
     
  18. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,591
    Likes Received:
    68,100
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I have no real interest in flipping saws. Profit margins are generally good enough to keep buying the next saw to flip, then the one after that, so on and so on… but I have other things I’d rather be doing with my time. Plenty of guys do it as a successful hobby/business, but it’s not my thing.
     
  19. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,092
    Likes Received:
    7,501
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    New saw cuts fantastic so far. On the second tank, hands and shoulders feels good! But who the heck put this 16 penny nail in this tree !!!!! Figures. Can’t have anything nice anymore. :doh::whistle:
     
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I reread my reply and it is confusing. Convenience package is on entry level/homeowner saws.

    The C on pro saws is the mtronic version 261c, 362c, 462c etc. Pro saws without the C are adjustable carbs.

    Sorry about that.
     
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2026 at 7:29 PM