In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Saw recommendations

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Nitrodave, Oct 6, 2026 at 11:20 AM.

  1. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,086
    Likes Received:
    7,454
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    Hi all… the time has come to look for a new saw. My Poulan 3450 Wild Thing..:D is on its last legs. This saw has been my main saw since 1997… cutting countless cords without complaints … until now. Bar oil runs out almost as fast as you pour it in.. found the case cracked by the bar studs. :doh:

    Started researching what to replace it with.. need all-around saw, lighter, and economical.

    Initial thoughts were an Echo cs400 or cs4010… but hard to get new…. Not sure if they would be enough.
    Really like the thought of a 261cm but my budget doesn’t…
    What do you recommend?
     
  2. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,164
    Likes Received:
    163,589
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    You just need to bite the bullet and step up to the Poulan Pro 4218 :whistle: :D
    I might even have a couple to sell, if that actually interests you. :saw::saw::saw:
     
  3. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,289
    Likes Received:
    66,713
    Location:
    IN
    How many cord / year do you cut?
     
    brenndatomu, Ronaldo and eatonpcat like this.
  4. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,086
    Likes Received:
    7,454
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    My shoulders and back do not approve…lol
     
    brenndatomu, RCBS and eatonpcat like this.
  5. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,086
    Likes Received:
    7,454
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    I used to do about 6-7…. Now only about 3-4(full) Mostly all is Oak , 14+ stump size. But LOTS of limbs… lol
     
    brenndatomu, RCBS and eatonpcat like this.
  6. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,364
    Likes Received:
    31,756
    Location:
    Over here
    If you got by with the wild thing for that long....depending on budget...Husky 545/550(or 261). It'll be an epiphanal change for the better. If you would like to step up a size in power but don't want to spend 'pro' money, Echo 590 all day long. If weight is a big factor and you cannot locate a 4010, get yourself a 501P. Will still be a huge step up, but just shy of Husky/Stihl speed and also at least $100 less. Lightest 50cc with magnesium case that I know of.
     
    John D, MikeInMa, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  7. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,289
    Likes Received:
    66,713
    Location:
    IN
    40cc is probably the right size. I would save up my pennies for a 261.
     
  8. FortySix&Two

    FortySix&Two

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2026
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    76
    Location:
    Charlton, NY
    I'm far from an expert and really just use my saw for limbing and bucking, but I really like my Echo 590. I have been making the switch from Stihl to Echo on all of my yard tools. I have a Stihl MS271 and I never knew what pull it would start on or if it would even start after shutting down to refuel. I now have the Echo 590, PB8010 backpack blower and the SRM2620 trimmer. Can't beat the 5 year warranty either, but I siggest buying from a local dealer who will work on them and honor the warranty, not a Home Depot
     
    MikeInMa, RCBS, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  9. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,298
    Likes Received:
    58,654
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
  10. wiguy

    wiguy

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2025
    Messages:
    149
    Likes Received:
    934
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    I’d throw the Echo 590 Timberwolf in the mix. If you buy one, do the muffler upgrade.
     
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2026 at 2:58 PM
    eatonpcat, RCBS, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  11. FortySix&Two

    FortySix&Two

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2026
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    76
    Location:
    Charlton, NY
    I'm going to do this eventually!
     
  12. Mrxlh

    Mrxlh

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2021
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    2,946
    Location:
    Dat Boot
    A good condition 51 or 55 closed port Husky would fit this bill quite nicely if you can score one. I’ve been torturing my 55 since purchased new in 1996, rebuilt the carb 2 times and replaced a fuel line, air filter and a spark plug here and there, even ran it as a ground saw at a tree service I worked at for a summer, still runs amazing.

    Now if you can find a new 4910 Echo, they are a very nice saw with an even nice price tag.
     
  13. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,575
    Likes Received:
    67,954
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
  14. Mrxlh

    Mrxlh

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2021
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    2,946
    Location:
    Dat Boot
    brenndatomu and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  15. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,575
    Likes Received:
    67,954
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Believe me, I've been eyeing it for a couple weeks but have a hard time justifying getting it for myself.
     
    brenndatomu likes this.
  16. Mrxlh

    Mrxlh

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2021
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    2,946
    Location:
    Dat Boot
    At $200 shipped (assuming it’s local to you) I would have already picked it up…
     
    brenndatomu and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  17. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,575
    Likes Received:
    67,954
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Well, my offer to Nitrodave stands. If he's tickled by this cherry Husqvarna 51 here in the constipation state, I'll check it out, and if it looks as good as it does in pictures, I'll buy it and ship it to him out in Michigan.
     
    Stephiedoll, brenndatomu and Mrxlh like this.
  18. Mrxlh

    Mrxlh

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2021
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    2,946
    Location:
    Dat Boot
    You sent me on a trip down memory lane, I picked up mine in PA while at work, for the life of me I couldn’t remember where I picked it up. PA Dan did a wonderful job helping a saw community widow sell her late husbands saws. I snagged it from him and got to eat dinner with him and Glock37.
     
    Stephiedoll and brenndatomu like this.
  19. Mrxlh

    Mrxlh

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2021
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    2,946
    Location:
    Dat Boot
    Heck that clean little 45 I got from you would fit this bill as well, although the 51/55 has to be the best firewood non pro saw ever built.
     
    Eric Wanderweg and brenndatomu like this.
  20. Mrxlh

    Mrxlh

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2021
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    2,946
    Location:
    Dat Boot
    I will say this, at 42CC, don’t discount the Redmaz GZ4350, I have the orange version 543XP ported by Kevin and it is all you would ever need in an 18” bar saw. Stock with a 16 inch .325 bar running Stihl narrow kerf RS would be the ultimate lightweight firewood setup in my mind. There are a few lingering around at decent prices NIB if you are inclined to do some looking.
     
    Stephiedoll and brenndatomu like this.