In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood Inventory 2026

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by JDU, Sep 17, 2026.

  1. JDU

    JDU

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2016
    Messages:
    662
    Likes Received:
    5,594
    Location:
    Perry County, PA
    Heading into heating season, I decided to measure and inventory just how much firewood I have.
    It came out to 20 cords. On average I burn 4 cords a year, so I'm ahead.
    Some of this has been in open sided woodsheds for 6+ years, so decided to use some of that first and not replace it, there anyway, as I want the shed for other use, like parking my "new" splitter. Picture is shed I'm tlaking about, going to burn the 1.8 cords on left hand side. It is all oak splits and oak blocks from pallet mill.
    DSC04343.JPG
     
  2. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,679
    Likes Received:
    130,979
    Location:
    Vermont
    May you have a many a cold dark snowy night nestled by you warm fire :handshake: So even if power get disrupted you are still cozy.
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    49,023
    Likes Received:
    312,489
    Location:
    Central MI
    20 cord is great. Congratulations to yo for getting this much on hand. You are a true hoarder.
     
  4. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,093
    Likes Received:
    29,431
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    Hmmm, I would need to recount totes but guessing 25 or so over-filled with well over half hedge, red and white oak, mulberry, honey and black locust 2-3 years stacked. It would be difficult to impossible to give a cord count.
     
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,865
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Time for the five year plan! :woodsign: :stacker: Wonder what the MC is on that oak?

    Reminds me of my bundle wood shed. Three 8x10 bays that can hold four cord each.
     
  6. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,883
    Likes Received:
    121,703
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Gettin’ close to the season.. I’m certainly ready for the cooler days.
     
    JoeyD, EODMSgt, T.Jeff Veal and 6 others like this.
  7. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,093
    Likes Received:
    29,431
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    I also want cooler days, but not sure that I'm ready for the stove yet. Maybe in a couple of months.
     
  8. Allman27

    Allman27

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2023
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    429
    Location:
    East Central Wisconsin
    Currently I have 7 cord split and stacked in my new woodshed. 4 cord is ready to go this winter and the 3 will be for next. I burn about 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cord per winter. I do have about 2-3 cord of rounds ready to be split and stacked. Now if it would just quit raining...

    I also have a dead oak which needs to be taken down and cut for the winter of '28-'29. should be about 2 cord in that tree alone.

    In about 1 year, I'll have my 3-year plan completed.
     
  9. JDU

    JDU

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2016
    Messages:
    662
    Likes Received:
    5,594
    Location:
    Perry County, PA
    I split a piece on the end today. MM said 9.9% I'm anxious to see what what big pallet mill blocks are in middle of the stack. Will measure when I get there.
     
  10. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,824
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    That's a great inventory. I need to take :ithappened:and measurements...
     
  11. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,824
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    Got around to taking :ithappened:of our personal stash yesterday...
    Our 5x10 limb/rounds shed. Most is at least 2+ years old. 20261005_185804.jpg 20261005_185754.jpg
    These 14 drums are 4+ years old, oak and hickory chunks and odd pieces. We used about 1/2 of 2 drums last year. 20261005_190041.jpg
    More drums of chunks...I think 2 are still full... 20261005_190231.jpg
    3 drums of 11-12" 2x4 pieces we use when we start a fire... 20261005_190027.jpg
    Our sheds...all hickory, I'm guessing 2.5+ cords, most stacked last year, added 1.5 stacks this year, will be used later. 20261005_185729.jpg
    Mixed hardwood shed...probably 1.5 cords 20261005_185743.jpg
    A cord+ of mostly ash with a bit of maple. Left side is the cribbage blocks that we haven't cut yet...:picard::picard:
    there's 8 drums at the end of shed with mixed hardwood, one is full of hedge...:eek: 20261005_185901.jpg
    Our cherry and pecan stash. We usually take this when we go camping...
    All cherry 20261005_190116.jpg
    Cherry left, pecan right 20261005_190124.jpg
    We have about 3 totes full of kindling/splitter trash 20261005_190219.jpg
    2 metal baskets of chunks, front is hickory, back is white oak /hickory. 20261005_190245.jpg
    2 totes of 3yr old BL... 20261005_190256.jpg 20261005_190304.jpg 20261005_190313.jpg
    This tote has a bit of American Holly, works really good to get the fire going from coals and a few cribbage blocks. 20261005_190330.jpg
    Leftover tote of WO and maybe a few pieces of beech 20261005_190406.jpg
    A tote of 3+ yr old ash... 20261005_190346.jpg
    A tote of mixed chunks 20261005_190418.jpg
    3 MOTS...I think... 20261005_190433.jpg
    8 more totes, I think 1 is kindling, rest is chunks... 20261005_190509.jpg
    8 more drums of green chunks for later years. 20261005_190533.jpg I think we have 6 or 7 other drums I forgot to get :ithappened:of...
    Maybe we're set for a couple years...:):thumbs::thumbs::whistle::whistle:...my plan is to fill our other 2 big sheds with hickory and white oak/beech. That will be 14-15 cords between the 2.
    Only sell what we can put in totes.
     
  12. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,679
    Likes Received:
    130,979
    Location:
    Vermont
    Jeez TJV you live in Georgia.. we already had frost here.. Now is tree working season
     
    EODMSgt, Chud, JDU and 4 others like this.
  13. FortySix&Two

    FortySix&Two

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2026
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    86
    Location:
    Charlton, NY
    Geez, that cherry and pecan should be used for smoking meat!
     
  14. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,927
    Location:
    Over here
    T.Jeff...have you offered the splitter leavings to customers for kindling purposes? Seems you have a surplus and are likely making more.
     
    EODMSgt, Chud, JDU and 5 others like this.
  15. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,824
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    We usually have our 1st frost around the end of Oct.
    We have some customers that don't want hickory because it throws sparks...ok, it will heat our house...lol...
    I guess I just want us (Miz Carol, especially) to have plenty of wood for later years. And enjoy life a bit more and not worry about selling every stick we get.
     
    EODMSgt, JoeyD, eatonpcat and 8 others like this.
  16. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,824
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    That was the idea when we built that shed, but in our area, ourselves included, use a pellet smoker. We have sold a bit for smoker wood. I enjoy a campfire with a bit of hickory or cherry in it, smells so good.
     
  17. FortySix&Two

    FortySix&Two

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2026
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    86
    Location:
    Charlton, NY
    I'm a pellet guy too, cherry and pecan pellets are two of my faves
     
    eatonpcat, Chud, theburtman and 3 others like this.
  18. T.Jeff Veal

    T.Jeff Veal

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2015
    Messages:
    29,620
    Likes Received:
    189,824
    Location:
    Country life, Ga
    We take a feed sack full to some of them when I can remember it...:whistle::BrianK:
     
    eatonpcat, Chud, theburtman and 3 others like this.
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,865
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Not burning much down there? :whistle:
     
    EODMSgt, sms4life, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,865
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I thought the same. Last year one of my smoker customers was foaming at the mouth when he saw the bag I was using here for the fire pit/grill. Ended up buying the two full ones I had here.
    I started offering them to smoker customers and some have taken me up. Sold three to a customer yesterday with their half cord of pit wood. Topped one off today while splitting. Between myself and two friends I cant have enough of them. With having to euthanize our cat last year I'm missing the cardboard litter boxes I'd empty every 3-4 weeks. I have huge bags of apple and mulberry shards for sale with no takers.
     
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2026 at 9:21 PM