In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

  1. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,287
    Likes Received:
    66,705
    Location:
    IN
    Decided to dig into this the other day. Pulled the pump off and it spun freely but not exactly butter smooth, definitely had some grind to it. Engine would not spin over.

    Removed the engine and put it on the bench so I could pull the other half of the lovejoy off. When I was cranking down the gear puller the engine spun.

    Set the engine back on the splitter, pulled the rope, and it fired up.

    Not sure what to think about this, but I'm going to put it back together this evening and run it till it pukes.
     
    wildwest, Stephiedoll, bogieb and 5 others like this.
  2. 41FanForLife

    41FanForLife

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2023
    Messages:
    1,045
    Likes Received:
    8,824
    I borrowed a dewalt polesaw from my cousin to trim a few overhanging branches for a family friend this afternoon. He gave me a 60 volt flex volt battery to use with it. Tore right through the stuff i needed it to. I'm impressed with it.
     
  3. Sourwood

    Sourwood

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2018
    Messages:
    2,113
    Likes Received:
    16,497
    Location:
    Popcorn, IN
    Just a linch run. Stopped by to get supplies to do a 12,000 mile service on my Triumph. Car show tomorrow fo4 a couple hours.

    tomorrow another Indiana football game.! I did tinker a bit with the limbs on the trees i had dropped. My brother suggested i hook up. Our chipper, but I explained the little limbs go into the boiler too. Will be for daytime burning.
     
  4. Burnin Since 1991

    Burnin Since 1991

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2025
    Messages:
    417
    Likes Received:
    3,167
    Location:
    Concord River Valley, Massachusetts, USA
    Go Hoosiers!
     
  5. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,158
    Likes Received:
    163,544
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    ^^^ it lives! :dancer:
     
  6. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,564
    Likes Received:
    76,421
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Mine are both black. I will admit that these are at least 13 years old. I'm actually thinking I got these about 25 years ago - way before I moved into this place, but I don't remember if I had them in my toolbox way back at the other house - then it was a small toolbox with just the essentials in it and allen wrenches not have been essential at that time.

    upload_2026-10-3_4-25-29.png
     
  7. Burnin Since 1991

    Burnin Since 1991

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2025
    Messages:
    417
    Likes Received:
    3,167
    Location:
    Concord River Valley, Massachusetts, USA
    That's the thing. They're never essential until you need one. I have them in holders like yours, loose and on rings and somewhere I have the swiss army folding one. It is my favorite and I will have to look for it later on today.
     
  8. JD Guy

    JD Guy

    Joined:
    May 11, 2022
    Messages:
    1,325
    Likes Received:
    8,201
    Location:
    Upstate SC
    If these are expected to be lightly/seldom used tools go to Harbor Freight and get a set each of SAE and Metric. Won’t set you back much and if they get lost you won’t feel too bad about it:salute:
     
  9. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,287
    Likes Received:
    66,705
    Location:
    IN
    My son shot a doe last night and we got it butchered this morning. Did a little cleanup in the barn after that. Not sure what the rest of the afternoon holds.

    Date night with the wife tonight for our 23rd anniversary.
     
  10. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,087
    Likes Received:
    29,387
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    Happy anniversary lukem and enjoy date night.
     
  11. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,654
    Likes Received:
    130,738
    Location:
    Vermont
  12. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,287
    Likes Received:
    66,705
    Location:
    IN
    Ugh. Ran into town in the old truck to fill up gas cans. Key fob wasn't working so I used the key to lock the door. Came back and unlocked the door but now no matter what I do the outside door handle won't open the door. The inside handle works. The key moves the lock, the outside handle moves the linkage to the latch, but something inside the latch is pizzed. I guess I'll replace the latch assembly an ebay china special.
     
  13. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,087
    Likes Received:
    29,387
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
  14. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,564
    Likes Received:
    76,421
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Congrats on your son's deer!

    Happy anniversary to you and your wife!
     
  15. TrinitySouth99

    TrinitySouth99

    Joined:
    May 25, 2016
    Messages:
    4,660
    Likes Received:
    37,698
    Location:
    New Harbour, NFLD
    Downed a lot of brush this week. I was going to start loading it tonight, but I'm too tired now. Maybe I can get up early enough to get some of it aboard in the morning.

    Screenshot_20261004_170831_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20261004_170825_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20261004_170815_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20261004_170808_Gallery.jpg
     
  16. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,550
    Likes Received:
    141,583
    Location:
    US
  17. Burnin Since 1991

    Burnin Since 1991

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2025
    Messages:
    417
    Likes Received:
    3,167
    Location:
    Concord River Valley, Massachusetts, USA
    Got a cord of shorts and misfits (chunks) delivered today. Got a couple surprises. Wood that is pretty common where I grew up in SE Indiana, SW Ohio, but not as much around here

    upload_2026-10-4_18-2-27.jpeg
     
  18. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,670
    Likes Received:
    144,717
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I didn't even think of Harbor Freight, we didn't have one where I used to live.
     
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2026 at 6:15 PM
  19. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,991
    Likes Received:
    312,254
    Location:
    Central MI
    Yes! Good times!
     
  20. Burnin Since 1991

    Burnin Since 1991

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2025
    Messages:
    417
    Likes Received:
    3,167
    Location:
    Concord River Valley, Massachusetts, USA
    Finished putting up a cord of wood from yesterday. Have another cord coming in later today. That will give me three cords which should be about a two years supply. Not bad for the small space I have to work with. I also trimmed the hedges (I call them bushes) in front of the house and a few other odd jobs. It's recliner time for now!