In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Road rebuild

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by MikeInMa, Apr 11, 2026.

  1. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,884
    Likes Received:
    115,125
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Perhaps, "that'll do".... for now.

    I had the same thought. They do mix up concrete as they go.

    That's pretty much where the stone wall was located.
     
  2. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,186
    Likes Received:
    163,784
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    You are correct...10 years from now (or less) you'd be able to grab that casting and walk off with it...I see it all the time.
    If the guy attempted to "do better", then there is a ring or two of Con-Seal under there...not so much because that drain grate needs sealed (but that would be important on a sanitary manhole casting) but more to help "glue" it down.
     
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Id have to agree. Looks like extra concrete mix. Thinking the road bed of crushed stone will be level with the top and asphalt put over it. Just a guess on my part.
     
  4. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,928
    Location:
    Over here
    I don't see them unstacking that to mortar the joints. Understand that material will be compacted around...seems jointing the blocks would be more durable...but what do I know...I am not a drainage engineer by any means (or a brickie). lol
     
  5. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,884
    Likes Received:
    115,125
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Here's the see-ment truck they use
    IMG_20260930_125430.jpg
     
  6. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,387
    Likes Received:
    31,928
    Location:
    Over here
    NGL...that's pretty slick.
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,866
    Likes Received:
    215,695
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Calling jo191145 He's the see ment expert here.

    I see sand so they are making there own mix whether mortar or concrete.
     
    T.Jeff Veal and brenndatomu like this.
  8. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,307
    Likes Received:
    58,733
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Agree